Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbird feeder and bees

Posted by choo z8 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 07 at 13:37

Help! The bees found my hummingbird feeders and are now swarming my feeders and my yard. I've had these feeders out for two summers and this is the first time I've had this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbird feeder and bees

Do your feeders have yellow centers? From what I understand the bees are attracted to the yellow.

They make some feeders now without any yellow on them.

o

• Posted by choo z8 TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 12, 07 at 13:25

They do...but they've been up for two years and were never bothered by bees. I guess the bees just happened to notice them this year.

Can anyone recommend a good bee-proof feeder. Does anyone have a Humzinger? Do they work?

o

Yes, I use the humzinger style with 3 feeding stations (since hummers don't like to share, I never see more than one at time at it anyway). It has an ant guard in the middle you keep water in to keep the ants out. Since they feed from the top, the hummers bill will go far enough down into the nectar, but bees can't get to it. The only thing I get in mine are small flying insects that can fit thru the feeding holes. They also don't drip, so don't have to worry about what's beneath it. Best hummer feeder I've had.

o

choo...I had that problem with one of mine early this year (it did have yellow but wasn't a problem last year) that was next to a blooming yellow plant so I moved it and put a solid red one and that seems to have solved the problem.

debndal...I would have said the exact same thing last year but this year my hummers have been behaving very differently, every night at sundown there is a feeding frenzy and most if not all of my feeders are standing room only!

o

I hope there's nothing happening out there in the wild that is causing food shortages for hummers this year and causing them alot of stress. I've yet to see one yet in my yard in DFW area but I work, so don't get to watch for them except on weekends. Still haven't seen any bees either and I have flowers blooming they ought to be after. I don't use chemicals so know that's not a problem. I hope the strange behavior of the hummers isn't a sign.....I'd hate to see the same thing happen to hummers as is happening in some areas with the bees.

o

• Posted by choo z8 TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 12, 07 at 19:04

Thanks for the feedback. I bought a Humzinger today and can't wait to see how that works out. I think I'll wait a day or two to put it out so that maybe the bees will have a chance to go elsewhere.

o

I would imagine by now you know that bees are disappearing all over the world. If you are that lucky to have some, I hope you realize the treasure you have. Just move that feeder, but I hope you keep it full for them, too.

Xtal

o

I doubt she is having a problem with Honey bees, which are the ones mysteriously disapearing. If they are honey bees , I'm with you. Let's feed them too. Give them their own feeders! :-)
My guess is she has yellowjackets. She needs to make sure her feeders aren't leaking, do away with the yellow, and make sure there are bee guards.
I mostly have problems with the occasional wasp at the feeders and ants under the feeders, if there is the slightest spill. By the way, my feeders have always had the yellow parts. I haven't had enough problem with bees or wasps, to bother changing to the new way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here