Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources for Cacti in DFW Area

Posted by cairnqueen (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 13:39

Hoping to get some recommendations for nurseries in the DFW area that carry a good selection of cacti. I'm trying to avoid running all over the metroplex without an idea of which nurseries carry a decent selection.

I'm looking for a cactus (possibly a variety of prickly pear) to put in a large pot on my unshaded patio in Carrollton. I'm definitely open to recommendations on cactus variety as well. I'd love one that blooms pink or red. The pot it will go in is about 18-24 inches in diameter and about the same depth. The diameter tapers towards the bottom of the pot.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources for Cacti in DFW Area

Have you been to Orand Nursery? It's in Fort Worth, but I don't know of a better nursery for cacti in DFW.

I'm not sure which species of cactus I would use. Opuntia cochenillifera has red flowers but is more of a winter bloomer. Summer-blooming prickly pears tend to have yellow flowers, but you may be able to find a red-flowered one.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Orand Nursery

o

Opuntia cochinelifera is not winter hardy n Dallas. Most of the large O. cochinelliferas in Austin were killed a couple of years ago. Opuntia Chenile blooms red and is hardier. CYlindropuntia imbricata blooms magenta and can put on some size and is cold hardy up to Colorado. There are some friendlier varieties that are not that loaded with needles. Their bloom period is fairly short. Gorgeous but short. Opuntia chenille has pretty large glochid spots. Cylindropuntia klieniae has rose blooms and is "twiggier" in structure. I have them growing Tall out a bed of glistening white Cylindropuntia whipplei that stays short and shrubby.

Cold Hardy cactus nursery is a good place to study species online

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold hardy Cactus Nursery (opuntia page)

o

Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions. I found Orands in a web search. Was hoping to find something closer, but it sounds like I need to make a field trip to Fort Worth. That will give me an excuse to swing by Weston Gardens as well to see what they have on the perennial front.

I'll do some reading on the cold hardy cactus page and see what looks appealing. I really appreciate the feedback. Cacti are a new area of interest for me, so I'm in the learning phase.

o

Hi cairnqueen, I live in Carrollton, too, and have a cactus that has babies, they're small, but you're welcome to one if you're interested. I don't know the first thing about cacti; my brother brought it to me from New Mexico. It just got done blooming, the color is pink.

Email me if you're interested!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here