Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best sedum for shade?

Posted by gardener972 7b-8a DFW (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 13:48

I know sedum is a sun loving plant but someone said they had sedum that did well in the shade. Do you have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best sedum for shade?

I have this one happily growing in bright shade. I have it under a Japanese Maple, who lives under a pecan tree. Part of the year it gets sun: after the leaves fall in Nov and when it returns before the leaves leaf out in March and April. It would like more sun and would flower more, but the foliage itself makes me happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum kamatschaticum

o

Where'd you find it? I went to Redenta's & North Haven today and didn't see that variety.

o

a neighbor gave it to me some years ago. Are you in Arlington? I could dig you some. I don't know who sells it, sorry. If you aren't near me, perhaps you could ask your local nursery to order some.

c

o

"but the foliage itself makes me happy."

I don't see how anyone could NOT be made happy by sedums. :->

I know you specifically said sedum, but these succulents have done well in part shade for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Happy

o

Cynthianovak, I'm in far north Dallas. :( I'll call around and see if I can find some. That site says it's "clumping"... does yours spread?
Lieslmcq, I've heard that your hen & chicks will tolerate some shade. I actually bought some yesterday to put in a pot. I think they're really cool how they keeping adding new "chicks." They are a succulent.

o

yes, it does spread but not really fast like an ivy.

I always wonder why some plants are everywhere and other plants that are great or even better are no longer popular.

This year I actually found some calendula for sale in NOV. I save my seeds because I can't find it. And the tall red pentas are no where to be found anymore either.

good luck finding it. It's a great plant
c

o

sedum ternatum (wild stonecrop)and sedum telephium (autumn joy) are good for shade, and have done well on living roof applications in the Bay Area. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: green roof sedums

o

I miss the tall red pentas as well. Actually all the taller pentas. I don't care for the shorter varieties.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here