Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

It's all your fault Melvalena !

plantmaven
10 years ago

While researching rose of sharons I saw one named Danica. So I bought one.

Comments (15)

• rock_oak_deer
    10 years ago

That's a beauty

• melvalena
    10 years ago

My fault?? I just asked a question !!! :)

Its sure pretty and now I want one too...

so can I blame that on you???

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Of course! I paid $19.99 for 10 gallon pot. Not bad. It is the prettiest I have ever seen. It has lots of buds on it.
    The article I read on it stated that the producer (L.E. Cooke) had gotten it originally from Rainbow Gardens # 3. That is where I bought mine.

"This althea came to us from Rainbow Gardens #3 in San Antonio which got it from Tocquigny's Green Gate garden Center in Sequin, TX. Joe Tocquigny got it from Willie Gentry probably in the 1980's."

Kathy

• carrie751
    10 years ago

You are BOTH enablers !!!!!!!!

• melvalena
    10 years ago

Isn't that what friends are for??? :)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Ha, I may get the opportunity to remind you of this one of these days...................LOL>

• beachplant
    10 years ago

great, now I HAVE to go to Rainbow gardens when we come up for the fall plant trade.
    Tally HO!

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

You know, Altheas are EXTREMELY easy to root from cuttings. This one, called 'Blushing Bride', I got last year as two, 8" ,.fresh cuttings at the Mercer swap. I took them home, cut them in half, and rooted four.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

They are beautiful and those are especially beautiful cultivars that you've pictured Kathy and Jim.

Years ago I noticed the white one that turns pink as a tree size plant beside the little rose surrounded lake at ARE in Brenham. Don't know if it's still there or not, but look for it if you go.

Also Barbra and her neithbors grow some beautiful ones in Rockport.

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

This post made me smile! And that is a pretty flower. It looks like when the florists put the cut flowers in food coloring to make them crazy colors.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

Luckily it's trademarked not patented, so you can legally propagate it and even sell the propagated plants for profit - just can't call it by that trademarked name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant patents and trademarks

• beachplant
    10 years ago

they root like weeds for sure! I just need to sneak over and whack off a chunk of Danica lol!
    Tally HO!

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Lin, several years ago, I spent some time researching plant patent and trademark laws, and came to the comfortable conclusion that as long as I was propagating for my own use, or to give or trade to friends, although illegal, that I wouldn't end up on the FBI's "Ten Most Wanted" list. I derive a certain pleasure from propagating plants from cuttings and since I haven't developed an over-powering feeling of guilt, or loss of sleep over it, I'm still happy with that decision. I'm sure some see it differently.
    Jim

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

Jim, like you I also enjoy propagation. I posted that link about TM plants to show that there's no issue with propagating a trademarked plant.

I'm of the opinion that it's kind of stupid to try to claim ownership of what MN produces.

• tulsagentleman
    8 years ago

I would love to have a start for a Danica Althea but have searched the web and can't find where to buy one. Can someone help me?