Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's all your fault Melvalena !

Posted by plantmaven 8b/9a TX (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 13:56

While researching rose of sharons I saw one named Danica. So I bought one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's all your fault Melvalena !

That's a beauty

o

My fault?? I just asked a question !!! :)

Its sure pretty and now I want one too...

so can I blame that on you???

o

Of course! I paid $19.99 for 10 gallon pot. Not bad. It is the prettiest I have ever seen. It has lots of buds on it.
The article I read on it stated that the producer (L.E. Cooke) had gotten it originally from Rainbow Gardens # 3. That is where I bought mine.

"This althea came to us from Rainbow Gardens #3 in San Antonio which got it from Tocquigny's Green Gate garden Center in Sequin, TX. Joe Tocquigny got it from Willie Gentry probably in the 1980's."

Kathy

o

You are BOTH enablers !!!!!!!!

o

Isn't that what friends are for??? :)

o

Ha, I may get the opportunity to remind you of this one of these days...................LOL>

o

great, now I HAVE to go to Rainbow gardens when we come up for the fall plant trade.
Tally HO!

o

You know, Altheas are EXTREMELY easy to root from cuttings. This one, called 'Blushing Bride', I got last year as two, 8" ,.fresh cuttings at the Mercer swap. I took them home, cut them in half, and rooted four.
Jim

photo 2013-05-02090436_zpsc81959da.jpg

o

They are beautiful and those are especially beautiful cultivars that you've pictured Kathy and Jim.

Years ago I noticed the white one that turns pink as a tree size plant beside the little rose surrounded lake at ARE in Brenham. Don't know if it's still there or not, but look for it if you go.

Also Barbra and her neithbors grow some beautiful ones in Rockport.

o

This post made me smile! And that is a pretty flower. It looks like when the florists put the cut flowers in food coloring to make them crazy colors.

o

Luckily it's trademarked not patented, so you can legally propagate it and even sell the propagated plants for profit - just can't call it by that trademarked name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant patents and trademarks

o

they root like weeds for sure! I just need to sneak over and whack off a chunk of Danica lol!
Tally HO!

o

Lin, several years ago, I spent some time researching plant patent and trademark laws, and came to the comfortable conclusion that as long as I was propagating for my own use, or to give or trade to friends, although illegal, that I wouldn't end up on the FBI's "Ten Most Wanted" list. I derive a certain pleasure from propagating plants from cuttings and since I haven't developed an over-powering feeling of guilt, or loss of sleep over it, I'm still happy with that decision. I'm sure some see it differently.
Jim

o

Jim, like you I also enjoy propagation. I posted that link about TM plants to show that there's no issue with propagating a trademarked plant.

I'm of the opinion that it's kind of stupid to try to claim ownership of what MN produces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here