Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Deadheading with a cane and scissors ...

Recently I bought a lightweight wooden cane at a thrift store for a $1.00. I thought it might help me balance as I attempt to gingerly step in and out of thickly planted rose beds where the larkspurs and other companion plants have gone crazy with thick growth due to all the rain this spring.

I'd already been using scissors with titanium blades for various garden chores because they are so sharp, and not only are they sharp but they are very low in cost. I bought three pair for less then ten dollars at Costco. Sure beats the cost of Felcos at over $40.00 a pair. $2.50 scissors I can afford to lose.

With the cane to lean on I can reach way into the rose bed. That and the long sharp blades of the scissors made dead heading a pleasure this morning. The scissors are sharp enough to cut out blind shoots and most of the dead canes inside the bushes also. If both hands are needed the cane hangs on the arm. Also the cane is handy to rattle the rose bushes so any yellow leaves fall off.

Of course it works for deadheading other things too. Just thought I'd pass it along. I posted this on the Antique rose forum, too. Happy gardening!

Comments (7)