Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (19)

• tshcd
    13 years ago

So pretty! Mine is blooming, too. Love them.

• rick_mcdaniel
    13 years ago

Good for you. I haven't had much luck with them here.

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

Neat plant! I've never seen one, now I'll be sure to buy one!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I finally found buds on mine today.

Pam

• bjb817
    13 years ago

Yep, mine's blooming too. :^)

They're in full shade FWIW.

• denisew
    13 years ago

Those are such pretty pictures. Mine started to bloom this week too.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's in bright shade.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting pictures.

It is beautiful!

Love the bright yellow and the long spurs on that variety.

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

I know...they are gorgeous and I'll never be without them again! They CAN get shaded out in complete shade eventually...at least, some of mine did in the past.

• ruthz
    13 years ago

Mine are blooming too. They are in shade under an Oak tree.
    I'm trying to germinate different colors.
    I have sprouts of 2 out of 5 kinds.

• melvalena
    13 years ago

I picked one up at Walmart this weekend. Huge and only $5!
    Hopefully I can get it planted in time for it to set seeds for next year!

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the post, I just received seeds from an nice family in Utah. I have always loved Columbine since living in Colorado. Cannot wait to see how well they do here. Zone 3-9 sounds like they should do fine here.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Hi Wally! I believe the columbine pictured above is the Texas Native, Hinckley's columbine, or the Texas Superstar, Texas gold columbine.. They may be the same plant, but whatever, they are wonderful columbines that takes our heat. Perhaps after mine blooms this spring I can send you some seeds although they are liable to be hybrids that have mixed with some other heat tolerant colors that I have.

Keep us posted on how the plants from the seeds you have do for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of some mixed columbines ...

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have the very long spurred yellow columbine. from Arizona and west Texas. A kissing cousin of the Hinkley columbine.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

From the seeds and cuttings I have received just from this site I should have a great garden come spring and summer. Our spring usually starts around the 14th of Feb. Already have a few plants started that should survive our winter for early blooms. I do not have much room but I do love plants and will keep filling any bare spot in my beds.

• annieinaustin
    11 years ago

Nice photos! The native yellow columbine are so beautiful but I can't seem to keep them alive at this house. I'll keep trying and maybe hit the right spot one day.

BTW - saw a Fbook post from Barton Springs Nursery hoping to find a local source for seed because they ran short, so maybe it's not just me.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I tried growing them in a clay based soil that had compost mixed in and they would rot in the summer. Now that I am onut on a limestone based humous with a lot of drainage, they do a lot better.

• annieinaustin
    11 years ago

Thanks, Wantonamara. Maybe I'll try again but in a big terracotta container instead of in the ground - might be able to ensure fast drainage that way and it would also raise the bloom a little higher.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have them growing in bright shade.