Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitecap_gw

Pineapple Guava

whitecap
11 years ago

Anyone had any experience with these? After an extensive search, I finally found a nice specimen that has been trained to a single trunk. Now I'm debating on where to put it. Some say full sun, others part sun. I'm more interested in foliage than fruit, but would like to keep it reasonably compact.

Comments (9)

• backacre
    11 years ago

The Pineapple Guava I have was planted about 2 years ago from a 1 gallon pot. It has grown nicely and is about five feet tall. It has a single stalk but split and now has a bushy top. Last year there were two pretty blooms (no fruit) and I hope for more this year. It does not freeze and appears almost as it does now all winter except for the new green growth on the tips of the branches. It's a "keeper" in my yard!

• pepa
    11 years ago

I have 2 in my yard about 7' tall, (evergreen) I got them for the fruit, I have had them for about 5 years and every year they give me plenty of fruit (by the way the petals of the flowers are edible, they are very sweet) I wait till the fruit falls then pick them off the ground, they are green and you cut them in half and scoop the pulp out with a spoon. I am growing them like small trees (cleaned up the lower branches. And they are in full sun, I never water them and I have sandy soil. I saw a yard in town that is using them as hedges, they let them get bushy. One of my favorite plants.

• whitecap
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine is 5' tall, and it came dear. I tried one of the petals, and it was delicious. Some of the plants I saw at the garden center, in a shaded area, looked quite ragged, and I hope to keep mine bushy. Think I'll see if the Aussies can help me on light requirements.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have seen them in a good bit of sun in Austin used as hedges. Very nice.

• whitecap
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see that blogger at Digging has some in a shaded area. They bloom and bear fruit, but look quite ragged.

• whitecap
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops! Intended to say "the blogger at Digging."

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

I have three pineapple guavas that are approximately 4 years in the ground. Two of them receive a couple of hours of direct sun, then dappled shade and the other is in dappled shade all day. The two receiving more sun bloom and bear fruit. The one in shade has a few scattered blooms and a few branches bear fruit. They definitely are kind of thin and scraggly so if I could have a do-over, I would plant them in full sun.
    The blooms are really pretty and the fruit is delicious and they are healthy, maintenance-free shrubs.
    Molly

• bossyvossy
    11 years ago

mine is in full brutal sun, and grown as a shrub. I have seen beautiful blooms on it but don't remember fruit, or perhaps critters got to them first.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

they grow in full sun on Oahu, Hawaii, we used to pick the fruit when out hiking.
    Tally HO!