Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native Plant ID?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 14:29

Patty found this growing in West Texas. I love the way it grows with individual stems coming up from the base and especially the heavily textured leaves. Anyone know what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native Plant ID?

Its horehound I believe.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrubium_vulgare

I've seen it with fuzzy leaves but I think a non fuzzy variety exists.

o

Joey, I think you nailed it. Imagine Patty finding a European herb growing wild in West Texas! Not so strange actually as it has become a weed outside of its range.

The leaves have a somewhat bitter taste, but I like horehound candy, plus it often works better for soothing a cough than over the counter cough medicines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joey's link ...

o
RE: Horehound herb ... Native Plant ID?

Once I asked a young lady in a drug store if they had any horehound. I got a wide eyed "I BEG YOUR PARDON?" in reply ... LOL She had evidentally never heard of it although they did have it in the cough drop sectionl

Link about Marrubium vulgare.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horehound herbal uses ...

o
RE:Oops ... Correct link below . Native Plant ID?

Trying again ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Horehound herbal use ..,

o

Maybe the early settlers brought in plants for candy making?

o

Yes, and for medicinal purposes.

o

Years ago I worked at a hunting lease down near Bracketville. There were quite a few of them all growing under the trees. They were not as tall as the one posted but they were sort of bushy.

o

It is all over in some fields around here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here