Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paradisecircus

New to website (hi!) and looking for recs...

paradisecircus
11 years ago

Hi everybody! I'm new to the website/forum and looking for some ideas/recommendations. But first, a quick intro...

My name is Michelle. I bought a house in Fort Worth last spring and trying to rebuild the front flower bed (for now; whole yard needs major help, so I'll be on here alot!). Last summer's drought plus the sprinkler system malfunctioning caused the whole yard to shrivel and croak. House faces north, with the flower bed I'm working on located at the northwest corner of the house, where it takes a beating from the setting sun. I already have 9 red yucca on the west side of the house that thrive, so I thought I'd follow their lead and plant Texas Sage, Lavender and Rosemary. Tehy're still pretty small but I'm excited to see how they turn out.

My question is, what low lying shrub could I plant in the foreground in front of the sage and lavender that would complement the silvery green/dusty purple colors and provide some unique texture? I'd prefer to stay in the cool color family and stay away from anything "overtly desert" looking since I already have the yucca. I've considered varieties of rock penstemon or santolina that have white blooms.

I'll take any and all recs/advice! BTW, I know nothing about gardening. When the guy at The Plant Shed told me I might need to compost, I had no idea what that meant. Ha!

Comments (5)