Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

bye bye tree

plantmaven
11 years ago

This #$%##*$%^ Arizona Ash is now gone. The roots were under the patio. So I felt it would not be long before they tore it up. I have lots of sun now. I do get some shade from the back neighbor's live oak.

Comments (11)

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

That'll be a game changer.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You got that right. Maybe the crape myrtles with grow. One is to the right of the tree and one is right of the first bird bath. I have day lilies and iris I want to move there. We'll see what else.
    The back yard gets left to right sun. That tree never cast shade any where near the house.

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

So much better I'm sure. How about an after picture?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

There were two of those here when I moved here, and if there were any way of removing them without taking the fence down, I would as well, Kathy. I do NOT like these trees. Bet you will be glad it is gone,.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I agree; this will open up a whole 'nuther area in which to plant sun lovers. When the crape myrtles grow up they will probably provide all the shade you'd want. We'll be watching for pictures of the development of this area ... :-)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bought a new camera months ago. Neither my son or I can figure out how to down load the pictures. I need to call the maker. The birds and critters are very confused.
    I have been moving pots out.
    While they were here Diane had them cut down the one cedar out front. I hope the live oaks will take off. Shirley, those are in the oval bed with the grass path.
    BTW, Ragna my amaryllis are blooming.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

I still remember my parents cutting down all of the Arizona trash trees in our yard. The last one that DID shade the house came down in stages, after the pecan we planted started to get big enough.

Carrie, I'm sure you know that you'll have to take those down eventually, they don't live very long. I think they only have about 30 years before they start to die. :(

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Bits at a time, Sarita, bits at a time, and then I may not have a problem with the fence.

• lou_texas
    11 years ago

If I were to lose a tree, I'd be trying to decide which roses to buy. Have fun filling that space. Lou

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

If well nourished and watered Arizona ash can live a lot longer than expected. Mine is probably the age of the house or close to it which would be over 50 years old. It was a large tree when we moved here close to 25 years ago. I've planted some small ornamental trees that will provide some shade if and when it dies, but I'd hate to lose it. We've limbed it way up to let in more light. So far so good.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is what it looks like now. On the left you can see my neighbor's live oak. It provides shade up to the grass line. There is late after noon shade from my shed on the right and the basket weave fence.