Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cattyles_gw

Need a good vine!

cattyles
10 years ago

Hi! I live about 30 miles west of Lubbock. Last spring I planted Carolina Jasmine on the north side of the house to try to hide a chainlink fence that I hate. It never really took off very well, much less covered the fence as I hoped.

On the south side of the house, there is a very old trumpet vine. The trunk is bigger around than my arm. It's gorgeous, already budding, and soon will be covered in bright orange that is a pleasure to me every time I pull up to my house.

I can't plant a trumpet vine on the north side, too. My dad and exhusband/best friend will stop speaking to me. I have had to put myself between them and the grandaddy trumpet that is already there. I know, invasive and all that, and yeah it springs up in cracks in the front driveway sometimes. But it's really pretty! :)

What should I plant on that ugly north side? I'd love for it to be evergreen. There are four huge pine trees over there that would allow for a dappled light most of the day but not full sun or shade.

Is there a perfect vine? I have to be honest, I don't give a hoot if it's invasive. My lot is irrigated but I am adhering to water restrictions and then some. I really doubt the fescue that was already here when I bought the house 2 years ago will survive another summer like last summer. Which is a shame, it's a beautiful lot.

Comments (10)

• artvandelay999
    10 years ago

Crossvine.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

The native honeysuckles (lonicera sempervirens) are some more nice evergreen options. The most common named cultivars are in reds and yellows, but there are some other shades, too.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

The native honeysuckles (lonicera sempervirens) are some more nice evergreen options. The most common named cultivars are in reds and yellows, but there are some other shades, too.

• tx_ag_95
    10 years ago

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has a list of 10 evergreen vines that are native to Texas. I'd start by checking their list out (use the link below to search). Giving your watering habits, you'll be happier with a native plant. Just be careful with some of the options. Crossvine can overtake structures, much like wisteria. I have one that I stuck in a pot in the middle of the yard with a cedar fan-shaped trellis. It's VERY happy there and I'm pretty sure that the roots have grown out of the holes in the bottom and into the ground. No, scratch that, I'm positive they have. The vine's happy even when fire ants invade the pot.

Here is a link that might be useful: NPIN

• cattyles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much! Those sound great. I am going to the link tx ag provided. I must say, I love the sound of that enthusiatic crossvine. I guess I have a soft spot for "happy" growers.

Even though me and Grandaddy Trumpet have a stern talk every now and then, I love him. My neighbor on that side says the original owner of my home felt the same way. He is and his wife help with discipline, haha.

I lived in a "starter home" for 24 years before finally buying this house. The yard, including the fescue, are what I love about it the most.

Honestly, it's the prettiest lawn in town. But it makes me feel so dang guilty to keep fescue healthy during a drought.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

If you just want to cover the chain link fence without having to grow a vine on it maybe you could cover it with plastic lattice panels like we did.

By the way, the white plastic ties we used have lasted well. Haven't had to replace a one.

Here is a link that might be useful: What we did with the chain link fence ...

• cattyles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roselee, hi! I saw that link when I first did a search for vines. That looks great and I would love to do it! I'm not sure if I am handy enough. I have it bookmarked to come back to.

I love every single picture of crossvine I have seen. I think it would be great if it grew up into the huge pine trees. Last summer we had loooong stretches of 100-110 degrees. Then, this winter we had some really hard freezes. It is supposed to freeze again tomorrow night. And then we have the worst drought in ages. Twice this spring, the dirt blew so bad there was over an inch of dirt on my front porch.

Is it foolish to think anything is going to do very well?

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Roselee, I love what you did with your chain link fence. Beautiful. And very creative thinking. Lou

• whitecap
    10 years ago

It's a trade-off: The more attractive the vine, the more water it will require. If "invasiveness" is not an issue, and you're disinclined to experiment, Japanese aka Halls Honeysuckle would be the obvious choice. Once established, it is quite indestructible, and hardy to -30F. It rejoices in neglect.

• cattyles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found some locally grown crossvine in Lubbock today. I can't wait to plant them! But I will, since it was only 25 degrees here this morning. Thank you all for the great help!