Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to plant in a pot on the porch

Posted by okokok 8btx (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 14:51

i have a hot west facing back porch (cypress, tx)
anyone have suggestions on what to plant here (maybe some kind of palm?)
any idea would be helpful

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to plant in a pot on the porch

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 19:29

Is it indirect sun? If so WOW there are many Beautiful plants that would look great!

Kylie

o

the porch gets direct west late afternoon sun
very hot strong sunlight, but only a couple of hours a day
the rest of the day, it's just bright indirect light

o

aloe, lantana, hesperaloe (red yucca), yucca, mexican feather grass, kidneywood tree, Junipers, linhiermer's guara (apple blossom bush?), anisacanthus, diamania, Esperanza, rock rose, and cactus.

o

Bouganvillia would be gorgeous. Just remember to protect it in the winter if you want it to survive for the next year.

o

thank you for your suggestions i went to arbor gate this morning and bought a smaller bougainvilla and a varigated white blooming potato vine and a really pretty smaller trellis
i'm pretty sure i'll use the potato vine on the back porch with the trellis and the bougainvilla can go on the deck
i also got a dark blue plumbago
i wanted about 100 thousand dollars worth of other stuff, but, i had to fit the groceries in with the plants and the trellis, so i had to stop there!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here