Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

clusiana tulip

cynthianovak
10 years ago

This species tulip is Clusiana Cynthia. IIt returns failtfully after the big Dutch tulips fade away.

Comments (4)

• DallasUrbanFarmer
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

It is a beautiful tulip!

• jardineratx
    7 years ago

I want to bump this thread up since I am looking for tulips that will naturalize in Texas. I saw some small yellow ones in a flower bed at the Antique Rose Emporium in Independence, Tx. Cynthia, have your tulips returned this spring? Of course, I am aware that the dutch tulips must be replanted each year here in Texas, but I am hoping to find one that will naturalize, even if they are not as eye catching!

Thanks, Molly

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I tried all types of clusianas and some never even sprouted a first time. The hardiest, if I can use that term, was a pink w/yellow center. I have clay soil, even if amended, no go. Perhaps in a container or very sandy soil but for naturalizing, I wouldn't hold my breath, not even in z8 TX

i have lost a little faith in the better nurseries in that, their lip service is about organic, growing natives, hardy perennials, yet they are not above yanking perennials only b/c they're on their down side. It robs potential customers/gardeners of the understanding that "ugliness" is part of the cycle. But it seems selling prevails over educating so the practice of yanking and replacing with fresh ones is deceiving as these people can't understand why their own perennials are sad looking while the nurseries' are spectacular. Little do they know their staff yanks and replace when nobody's looking. They cheat customers from understanding the cycle and learning to live with it.

same with the species tulips. I see customers asking about them at the nursery where they have planted a patch of them and the conversation goes like this: "they are species, they SHOULD naturalize for you" and conveniently omit the fact that they themselves will be yanking them out. Customer is convinced it is a case of brown thumbs when nothing happens.

signed: a gardener that sometimes feels a little conned by the nurseries that are supposed to be above standard