Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loropetalum

Posted by denela Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 15:31

Hi, new to the forums ~

I have about a dozen Loropetalums around the house, but I'm concerned that the big freeze we had in February may have harmed them. Only a couple of them appear to have new leaves, but most seem not to be thriving - all the branches from the ground to almost the tops are completely bare.

I sure don't want to have to remove all of them - they're so pretty and really add value to the property - so I'm hoping they'll come back.

Could someone advise what I need to do?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loropetalum

You don't say where in Texas you are but if you are at least DFW and South you should have new leaves by now. Farther north I would say so too unless you are way in the panhandle, then I don't know. Try scratching some of the stem with a fingernail and see if they have any green under there. If not, I am afraid they may be goners.

o

I planted dwarf Loropetalum last summer and none survived the winter. They were in a north facing bed and got the brunt of the winter weather.
I had both the green w/ white (Emerald Snow I think) and the reddish foliage with pink. 6 or 8 of them.

The dwarf Indian Hawthornes that I added at the same time came through with flying colors so I planted additional Hawthornes this spring.

o

Hi,

I'm in the DFW metro area -

No, the branches are brown and brittle.

They're the ones with the lovely pink flowers - they've done so well before, but this was a big freeze. Yikes, I sure didn't want to lose them because they are such a big part of the overall garden.

So what do I do . . . dig them up?

No chance at all they'll come back if I cut them down near the ground?

o

I'd say it's time to dig them up. I thought loropetalums were pretty hardy - mine did fine although the leaves looked awful after the big freeze, but mine is on the south side against the house. You could just cut them down to the ground if you are not planning to replant something in their spots. The roots will decompose and add nutrients to the soil.

o

Thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here