Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Mulch? What's best?

Posted by ourlittleeden Z7Arlington (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 15:32

First, don't know why GardenWeb insists I'm in Zone 7. I believe we are in Zone 8 (Dallas/Fort Worth area). Anywho, what's the best mulch to use in the garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Mulch? What's best?

I need lots so prefer the Texas Pure that I can get by the pickup load.

o

Where do you get Texas Pure?

Maybe gardenweb is using an older zone hardiness map. The latest zone map has zone 8 bulging north into dfw, but dfw was solidly in zone 7 in older maps. There was no zone 8 bulge.

o

Check with your city trash co. Here in San Antonio you get it free for rough ground or ? cents a pound for a twice ground.

o

I go by the USDA map which shows all of Dallas County in 8a.

o

Personally, I prefer pine straw, but it is not so abundant in this area, so you have to buy it. But a little goes a long way. Mostly I go to the dump and get a whole truckload for free! Here in Mesquite, where I live, I can get one truckload of either mulch or compost free each and every month.

o

Texas Pure is from Plano's composting program. Here's a link with more info

Here is a link that might be useful: http://plano.gov/Departments/Environmental Services/yarddebris/Texas_Pure/Pages/default.aspx

o

I use ground up leaves from the trees in my yard and from bags of leaves I picked up off of neighbors' curbs in the fall. I bought one of those leaf vacs and it does a great job. The nice thing about the leaves is that they hide a multitude of "sins" unlike pinestraw and bark. Fallen twigs, fallen leaves etc. just seem to blend into the leaf litter. It's a little time-consuming in the fall, but well worth the effort.

Oh, one more thing. I used the leaves to insulate some semi-tropicals like Mexican Heather and Cigar plant during our February cold snap in Ft. Worth, and they worked like a charm. All my tropicals came back this spring. The worms love the leaves, too.

o

I love shredded leaves too! I managed to overwinter my Pride of Barbados this past winter under 12 inches of shredded oak leaves and I'm north of Fort Worth.

Pam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here