Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Where can I find a garden cart to sit on

TxMarti
16 years ago

Pulling weeds is killing me, both in my knees if I squat or in my back if I bend over.

Seems like I've seen a little plastic cart with a seat just the right height to sit & pull weeds.

Went to Lowe's today & they didn't have one though.

Comments (18)

• bo_berrin
    16 years ago

Marti, I've seen one called "Lawn Buddy" from Ames which even holds your tools and your coke. Looks good, but I have no personal experience with it. The wheels appear to be plastic, not rubber. Reminds me of my little brother's Big Wheel tires back in the 80's. They looked weak, but they stood up to years of punishment from that kid, so who knows?

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here, and then click

• ambersas
    16 years ago

I've got one like this that I don't use too much.

Dorothy

Here is a link that might be useful: gardeners

• beachplant
    16 years ago

Saw one at Home Depot this week that held your stuff inside. Looked perfect, thinking about going & getting me one!
    Tally HO!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I have the lawn buddy, I wish it rolled better in the yard. I end up kneeling a lot when I garden with an old beach towel under my knees...I use the lawn buddy to store all those plant tags that I want to keep.

Pam

• texas_nana
    16 years ago

I have one of the wheeled carts that I use for some things. But if I am working in the flower beds I use what is called a garden rocker. It has an adjustment so you can raise it a few inches for bad knees. Just have to be careful to not rock back wards. Ordered mine from Target last year but saw them at Lowes this year.

{{gwi:130166}}

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got the lawn buddy. I tried weeding a little bit last night to try it out & the only thing I see that might be a problem is having to get up & move it all the time when I'm weeding the wide beds. I don't want it rolling over my plants. But the nice thing is that I can keep my phone in it instead of in my jeans' pocket - which keeps me from bending.

• sandradee
    16 years ago

Seems silly, but it works! Flip this garden kneeler over so it's a seat. Then kneel down on one of those foam pads that you can buy anywhere and drape your torso over the garden kneeler's seat. The foam pad protects your knees and the seat of the garden kneeler supports the weight of your body as you weed, sparing your back.

BTW, I think you can find these garden/kneelers for less than the linked website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden kneeler/seat

• debbiedo7
    16 years ago

Dorothy,
    If ya don't use it much why not. If ya don't like it I'd consider making a deal with you for it. It sure looks like it would save my back.

Debbie

• elgrillo
    16 years ago

Our family has used 5 gallon buckets to sit on to pick green beans since I was a kid (a long time ago, and we had lots a green beans to pick, too). An extra paper gocery sack provided a little padding from the edges of the bucket. We originally had dozens left over from raising cucumbers commercially. They are cheap, highly portable, and we carry gardening tools, knee padding, and a water bootle inside. If you can find 3 gal. buckets, they are a better working height but don't hold as much gear. Maybe not as aesthetically pleasing as other solutions, but certainly very practical.

Gary

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sandradee, my mil has one of those & loves it! We sit on 5 gal buckets a lot when we're fishing (even have one made for it) but they are too high for weeding.

I'm going to keep this thing I think. It's about the right height.

• bo_berrin
    16 years ago

Sandradee, I'm SO going to do that! All that good rain we've been getting last night and throughout the day made me get out there and pull weeds between rain showers. Now, my back is killing me. I've got the foam kneeling pad, and I've been looking at those little benches, but I never put it together.

The only thing that would work better than that is if I could somehow suspend my hammock directly over the beds and lie face down with my arms through the ropes...Hmmmm... ;-)

• david_flory
    16 years ago

Smith & Hawken has the garden kneeler for $32. They also have some of the best made garden tools I've ever bought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith & Hawken

• cncnorman
    16 years ago

I wish I could use those garden kneeler/seats. My yard is so full of clay that when I sit down on the seat portion it sinks into the ground. LOL! This is the seat that I want it's at gardener's supply.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden scooter

• lindseyrose
    16 years ago

Okay, I was going to chime in and say "I saw little garden cart seats at Target" but I see y'all have already come up with some solutions.

elgrillo said, "If you can find 3 gal. buckets, they are a better working height but don't hold as much gear" but I misread it as "doesn't hold as much rear."

LOL

• sandradee
    16 years ago

Bo berrin...if you ever get that hammock thing worked out and patented, let me know where I can buy one!!! LOL!!

• bev1951
    16 years ago

Dorothy, I'd like to know too, the one I want is like that but has a longer handle for pulling behind when you're finished or getting it out. Dh built some raised beds for me & put a rim on them so I can sit or lay down if I need to but he's getting behind in building up all the new flowerbeds. I have a rubbermaid thing that I can lean over it like Sandra does hers but after awhile it gets real hard on the acid reflux. I have an old plastic tablecloth & pillow that I put down most of the time & just sit & scoot. I'd go for Bo's invention too sounds just about perfect. Bev

• bo_berrin
    16 years ago

I'm working on it, ladies! Right now, I'm trying to equip it with an iced tea dispenser, suspended kinda like an IV bag, with a clear, flexible tube as a straw. (Margarita holster and mosquito zapper attachments sold separately.) I've been trying out the prototype all morning. I haven't pulled a single weed, but my back feels GREAT! ;-)

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1345021}}

I have this one and LOVE it. I use it every time I do gardening or weeding! I bought mine about 5-7yrs ago from home depot for about $20-$30
    I have metal rods in both femurs (amoung other nuts and bolts - no joke) and have an average of 1 orthopedic surgery a year. I can not kneel or squat - so finding this baby was a life saver for me
    ~Angie~

Here is a link that might be useful: Order Garden Cart online