Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do moss roses come back?

Posted by msrose zone8TX (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 15:43

I'm a sucker for pink, so I couldn't resist buying some pink moss roses today. Do they come back for you? The lady at the nursery said they're annuals, but they always come back for her.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do moss roses come back?

Mine reseed themselves like crazy. In late fall, I take the dried plant from the pot, and just sprinkle the seed heads wherever I might want some in my garden beds, or in the pot.

o

Never for me. But the only things I can get to come back from seeds are weeds!

o

I have some in a large shallow pot out front. I pull the dead plants after a freeze and now I have tons of tiny seedlings in it. They are slow and take awhile to grow back. They need heat to thrive. I seeded that pot once a few years ago and haven't had to add any new plants to it. I just have to remember to water it once those little things sprout. Its easy to forget since you don't see them unless you look closely.

o

Each plant will die when it gets cold, but it will leave lots of little seeds if the flowers were pollinated. If the seeds can take where they fall, then you will get a constantly regrowing moss rose area, year after year. Otherwise, you'll have to manually collect and put seeds where you want them.

Purslane acts this way also, in case you want a pink-flowering purslane plant.

Pink rain lilies are also cute. They will naturalize by making more bulbs, but you can also plant seeds, which mature very fast from the seed pod. Otherwise, they are perennial.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here