Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nachtsprite

Looking for Tuberose and passiflora incarnata

NachtSprite
9 years ago

Anyone know where I can find tuberose and passiflora incarnata. I tried looking online but many sites have gotten low ratings from Dave's Garden :(. I might start the maypop with smart seeds but would prefer the plant.

Comments (22)

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

You might want to do a bit of research on Passiflora incarnata aka Maypop if you live on a lot in the city. It is incredibly vigorous (to put it mildly) & can spread into your neighbors yard & all over yours. I planted one years ago at another house & seriously regretted it the next year.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

My experience with incarnata was the same as TexasRanger's, but I've found that Passiflora caerulea 'Blue Crown' to be much better behaved than incarnata. For me it blooms more too.

I could never keep the wonderfully fragrant tuberoses going to more than a year or at most two. Seems they get some sort of nematode, but others may have had better luck than me. One source recommended planting them in aged manure which kept the nematodes under control. Or beneficial nematodes may work though I've never tested them for tuberoses.

• NachtSprite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I go out into my garden every day so I think I can manage it. I really enjoy being out. My "goldilocks" zone is small so I'm sure the tx sun would fry the leaves if it misbehaves :p. I want the incarnata because I want to use the leaves for tea. It makes for a wonderful sedative tea. I've heard that the other passifloras have cyanide.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

LOL! I am quite sure you can easily manage it with a good shovel since its favorite method of taking over ones property like The Borg is to spread by fast growing, deep underground runners that want to cover several square feet in a single season.

By the way, it likes sun, the further south, the better. I hear its better behaved further north....

Seriously, you might consider installing a barrier out of consideration so your neighbors don't have to deal with it too, if you have neighbors.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

You can come dig incarnata from my yard if you want. It's a gift from my neighbor :-) I have weekends off and live 11 miles north of Lake Worth. Nice soft sandy soil. I have shovels.

• melvalena
    9 years ago

If you absolutely have to have the incarnata I suggest you grow it in a LARGE pot that is _lifted way off the ground_ so you can cut any roots and runners that escape. Seriously you don't want to put this plant in the ground unless you are on acres and acres of land. It WILL NOT stay put and you'll have it everywhere.. including under the driveway across the alley into each of your neighbor's yards. They won't appreciate it as much as you do.

After one year I was very sorry I ever planted this one. We sold the house (not because of this plant) and I very carefully explained to the new owners the difference between it and the caerulea which I had also planted. I told them to round up the incarnata every place they find it.

• NachtSprite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi melvena :)

Thanks for the warnings all. I guess I'll have it grow on my patio then. How large a pot would I need?

• melvalena
    9 years ago

It will take up what ever room you give it. Its always looking for a place to go. It never gives up until it dies. :) (think kudzu)

It will grow out the bottom of the pot and send runners so fast you'll be up nights worrying about it. Be sure to keep it lifted high enough you'll be able to see and get to those escaping roots and runners.

You can't set it down for longer than a moment, you turn your back on it and it will reach out and grab you. :)

Heck, maybe a huge huge hanging basket would be better? Maybe set something in concrete in the ground to hang it from? I know.. a lotta work for tea, huh? :)

Good luck with it.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Sounds like trumpet vine which I thought I had totally killed off a couple of years ago and found a new sprout of it last week.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

I do believe that if you have a screened porch it'll happily grow right into the house, then when ya want a cup of tea, you can just grab some indoors because the plant outside will have all the leaves chomped off by Gulf Fritillary caterpillars. Your vine will be positively covered by these black crawling fuzzies.

Another asset is it will mark your sewer line for you so that if it ever needs to be dug up, you will know right where to dig. Plant one by the back door then just sit back & wait a year. I clocked the 60 or so new vines coming up at a rate of about 12" per week all the way to the alley. They look so lovely coming up all over the lawn but mowing easily keeps them from getting taller than 12" - 18" if you mow every week. Keep in mind they do grow a lot faster than your grass (you can actually sit & watch it grow) so forget that weed free lawn look.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Texasranger does not exaggerate on incarnata's exuberance to grow. At least not by much; depending on soil and climate

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

OK roselee, the watching it grow part was a slight exaggeration, but only very slight.

Seriously, I read a post once from an elderly woman who had lost her husband previously & she had bamboo growing up into her back porch-- inside her house. She wrote in pleading & desperate wanting to know how to kill it or what she should do since it had taken over her whole backyard from her neighbors plant. It really does pay to find out about certain plants in advance, I felt so sorry for this woman, I couldn't get the thought of it out of my head.

I would not hesitate to do a late night Ninja clorox number on it if my neighbors insisted on planting either of these plants without a proper barrier.

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

Are you in Arlington? I have passiflora incarnata incense popping up. I'll be pulling a number of them out. No thorns.

• NachtSprite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not in Arlington, but I'm willing to drive there. It is much closer than lake worth >.Thank you anyway pkponder :)

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

Yes! 2pm or as late as 6pm. I am happy to fill a pot with babies for you. email me for directions...c

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I'm glad that you are getting passiflora :-)

• NachtSprite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have also found tuberose bulbs on sale at calloway's. Didn't look for them hard enough I guess. Thank you all for being so helpful :)

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

NachtSprite
    I received an email from you today and Sat. and have replied a total of 5 times 3 in direct response and 2 today through the email on this site. If you did not receive any of them I think it is because you may email me but I may not email you back because you have asked not to have you email available. I have a good amount of passi babies in a pot. Would love for you to have them, We need to figure out how to set the day and time. c

• Audrey McDermott
    9 years ago

North haven gardens had both the last time I was there.

• weenerdogg
    9 years ago

I would love to come dig some sometime if the offer applies. I'm poor but not too proud to dig! !!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

weenerdogg! Come get some from my yard! I have other stuff for you too. My email is active, send me a message!

Pam

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

weenerdogg you are welcome to them. Email me I am in Arlington.....c