Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistigardens

I have a Daylily confession to make....

mistigardens
11 years ago

two years ago I pulled out named daylillies that were being overrun by ruellia. I put them in plastic containers with NO holes to just hold them until I got them planted. Well today they finally got planted. They were doing so good in the containers that they were always the last on my list to worry about. So 50 daylillies later I am exhausted! All plant swaps are in the ground except for tropical quava and small figs. I got alot accomplished!

Comments (9)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I thought you were going to say you got the tags mixed up ... lol. But I know the feeling of accomplishment. Congratulations! We want to see pictures when they bloom.

Now I have a confession to make. I redid the drip irrigation in the center bed about six months ago and now after adding mulch and straightening the rocks I can't find the end to hook it up to the hose. Oh well .....

• mistigardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

roselee...too funny. I have no irrigation, but have invested in soaker hoses that I will lay out once everything is planted.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Good for you Misti!!! I hope to have all my plant swap plants and the flats of annuals I purchased in the ground by the end of the upcoming weekend!

I take it you didn't run into any more snakes while you got all those plants put out. :)

• robyn_tx
    11 years ago

Roselee - funny! I thought it was just people like me that did stuff like that.

Misti - when I moved to Dallas I brought about 50 favorites from San Antonio and potted them up in compost. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would take me two years to get them in the ground. Lost a few, but most did just fine.

• mistigardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

melvalena - nope no snakes yet...mostly in june/ july.
    I will be calling on local GW's to take free plants soon as I am running out of room!

robyn, so what interesting plants did you bring from San Antonio? Those day lillies stunk to high heavens from being in a non draining container. With my luck they will probly die now that they have drainage...lol

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I think I woke up in the twilight zone this morning. I posted on this thread yesterday..........second response right after Roselee...........now that post is gone. Anyone else have this happen??? Did anyone else see it before it disappeared???
    Anyway Misti, I just thought you had been a busy, busy girl yesterday..........way to go !!!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I found a bag of amaryllis and mystery bulbs all dried up in a paper bag. I might just plant them and see what happens, otherwise they'll be compost :-)

Roselee, too funny!

Carrie, I don't remember seeing your post yesterday but I have slept since then.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Carrie, I don't remember seeing your post either.

Speaking of amarillis bulbs I 'lost' a whole five gallon bucket full of red and white stripped amarillis bulbs while in the midst of a garden redo a couple of years ago. I may have needed the bucket and dumped them in a big pot and then planted over them. Oh well ...

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I got my start when I planted quite a few for my boss and his wife. Those tiny pieces that just did not look like they would do well ended up in some pots that became beautiful plants in a couple years. I do enjoy them but they are thirsty plants.