Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darrenv_gw

What is this weed?

darrenv
10 years ago

I have this growing all over my front lawn. It existed last spring too, but it has proliferated by volumes this year. I don't know what it so or how to get rid of it. But I need to in order to continue the resurrection of the existing bermuda. Can anyone help identify this intruder?

Comments (14)

• robyn_tx
    10 years ago

You too huh? That is crabgrass ....

• eahamel
    10 years ago

Crabgrass is the smaller, dull brownish grass in the background. The green leafed plants that are larger aren't a grass. I have it, too, though, but don't know what it is.

• denisew
    10 years ago

It is probably a "bird gift." LOL! I get those occasionally too and just pull them out.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

It's the most widely used grass in Texas because it's drought tolerant, St. Augustine. It has almost the same characteristics as crab grass, including those horrific runners, which is the way the grass proliferates, rather than blades. I hate it too, which is why I had my back yard dug up last spring. I can tolerate the smaller front, but will eventually add a large flagstone patio w/ a lot of plantings or have artificial turf installed.

You either live with it or get rid of it. ;o)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

You can use end hose weed killer but be careful not to get it on trees, etc.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

The small bladed grass looks like Burmuda grass to me. The larger green looks like a broad leaf weed which can be killed by spot treating with a hand held spray of broad leaf weed killer or hose end sprayer. If it is a broad leafed weed try to kill it before it goes to seed. And yes, do be careful not to let the spray drift onto shrubs and ornamental plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of crab grass ...

• robyn_tx
    10 years ago

I agree with roselee and my original post... this is crabgrass growing in dormant/waking-up Bermuda grass. These appear to be individual plants and not St. A.

Patty_cakes, I wouldn't exactly call St. A grass that drought tolerant. Bermuda grass is much more tolerant of drought. It will go dormant in drought, then come back to life with water. St. A will just die. Personally, I don't like Bermuda grass ... and much prefer St. A, but that's just a personal preference. :)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

"Don't like Bermuda grass"........I can be even more specific....I detest it. Until you have dug to China trying to get all the roots out of a flower bed, you just don't know how to appreciate how invasive it is. Just a personal opinion.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

robyn,

St Augustine 'Floratam' is nearly as drought hardy as bermuda... When it comes to doing nothing (no supplemental watering or fertilizer) coarse bladed zoysia wins in partial shade condition (think tall pines or large oaks). I've grown Floratam with no problem in Midlothian even though it is not recommended because of supposedly "weak" cold tolerance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floratam

• mistiaggie
    10 years ago

I definitely don't think that is crab grass (Digitaria). It looks like maybe plantain or something similar. If you could get a closer picture we could probably identify it, but it appears you probably just want to get rid of it anyway.

• ltcollins1949
    10 years ago

I agree with Roselee about it being a broadleaf weed, not crab grass though. It kind of looks like "dock" http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/mar05/TurfWd.html.

• ltcollins1949
    10 years ago

I agree with Roselee about it being a broadleaf weed, not crab grass though. It kind of looks like "dock" http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/mar05/TurfWd.html.

Regarding Bermuda grass, yes it's a pain when it gets into your beds, etc., but living here on the bay where I don't like to put anything on my yard other than an organic fertilizer, I allow it to grow on my acre of land. Around the house I have St. Augustine which is very water needy. Out front I have Bermuda which is very drought hardy. It will appear to be dead and then with the first rain it comes right back. So I have learned to live with it and just let it go.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I've pulled dock out of my yard, and it's a center root, not a runner type, as is crabgrass a clump with a center root system. If it's not a St. Augustine type of grass, maybe a Bermuda, but I would venture to say it *is* a type of grass mainly found in Texas. ;o)

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

If we're talking about the green stuff in that photo, which apppears to be a dicot not a grass, did it make small white flowers last year? I think it's one of the asters that even though you mow it, still makes small white flowers in the fall.

If that's the case, keep it mowed, and let it bloom in the fall :-)