Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_texas

Scale insects on crape myrtle

lou_texas
11 years ago

I'm wondering what are the best methods to eradicate scale insects going into the month of May? What has been your experience - good and bad - with methods you've used?

Thanks. I don't want to lose this Glendora White crape myrtle; my coworkers gave it to me years ago when my father passed away. Lou

Comments (11)

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

I've found them on mine just last week. I used Safer's insecticidal soap, but its too soon to declare victory.

• lou_texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. I'll check that out.

• Carla
    11 years ago

You will probably have to use scale spray. It's an oil based insecticide that smothers them. You may have to spray several times about a week apart.

Carla

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

What are scale insects? I'm wondering if that is the white stuff on the bark?

• txmom
    11 years ago

OK - so, wondering if this is what is attacking my crape myrtles...or mealybugs?
    White cottony spots that are sticky?

How do I treat this?

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

When I found mine a couple of weeks ago, I found internet pictures that helped me figure it out. Mealybug *is* a scale insect that looks soft and secretes a "sticky" substance called honeydew.

Insecticidal soap & oil-based sprays are recommended . . . they have different methods of attack. Manual removal/squishing is recommended, but I don't have the time or the stomach for that.

I've seem them before, but never like now in these numbers. :( So I'm new to this battle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mealybug picture and info

• PatriceK
    11 years ago

Scale insects leave red eggs covered with a white filmy substance all along the bark, especially in crevices. Go to the link below for photos and more information. The Texas A&M Agricultural extension service says that this is a new pest that may have been imported from Asia. I live east of the north Dallas/Plano area discussed in the article and I have them on two young crape myrtles.

Here is a link that might be useful: AgriLife Extension: Insects in the City

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Thanks for the article, Patrice. I'm also in the area mentioned.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

As the little kid from Home Alone said, OH NOOOOOOO!

I recently had 5 trees planted in my backyard, and i'll be SICK if they have some sort of infestation. Will do the exam tomorrow, and hope for a negative.

Thanks for the heads-up Lou. ;o)

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Lou, how is yours?

The Safer's Insecticidal Soap *has* worked, but I have to reapply. I plan to use the spray nozzle & soft toothbrush this weekend. Mine are young/small, but I don't know what people would do if theirs were larger. My neighbor next door has several very large and mature crape myrtles & I didn't see any on hers -- but maybe they're up higher in the new growth.

~ freshair

• lou_texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Freshair, I'm going to have to learn to post photos so I can show you the progress.

I had my yard man cut off all the small branches and left the main structure untouched. Then my grandson took a scrubby - looks kind of like green felt, but is rough - and removed all the scales manually. I did this so that anything left on the tree would be the crawlies that could be killed w/o their shells. The scrubby didn't harm the bark, just scraped the scales off - actually it went pretty fast and my tree is as 8-10ft at least.

Then I waited for a non-windy day. That took a couple of weeks. I took out the scrubby again to touch up a few places that looked like they were building again. Last week, maybe it was Tuesday, I sprayed systemic acephate (Ortho, used to be Isotox - left over from 2005) on every inch of the tree with a pump up sprayer. Yeah, I know, it's been removed from the market, but I was in a scale-killer mood.

The tree has sprouted beautiful new growth. I'm still vigilant, though. So far, I'm pleased with the results. As soon as I get a chance, I'll post a pic. Thanks for asking. Lou