Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lordy! Is this Poison Ivy?

Posted by ourlittleeden Z8aArlington (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 16:19

Hello everyone!

Found this in the back corner of the yard. Is it poison ivy?

Many thanks,
Susie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lordy! Is this Poison Ivy?

Yeppers. It sure looks like it to me

o

Bummer. Thanks Wantonamara.

o

Probably poison oak. But just as horrible.

o

Now, the quest to kill it. Ugh. Thanks Plantmaven

o

I have some also. How do people kill theirs.

o

Well Mara, you may not want to use Round Up, but when I lived on an acre not far from where I live now the place was overrun by poison ivy and I am highly allergic. I'd use loppers to cut it off at the bottom and spray the stump with RU. That way it didn't come back. My husband would haul it away. He wasn't allergic to it.

Probably the vinegar treatment discussed on another thread would take care of it..

Here is a link that might be useful: Health issues linked to RU

o

There is one way to kill that plant. Get yourself a gallon zip-lock bag. Make sure you are well protected before stuffing it into the bag. Then add stump killer and make sure it can drink the stump killer. As long as it has the liquid to drink it should drink until it dies all the way back.
It does need to be killed now before it takes over your fence. Take care in disposing the plant as all parts are poison. Round up will kill it back but will do nothing to the roots. Digging up the compete plant will slow it down but unless you get all of the roots it will come back.

o

Normally I leave it alone. There is not alot of it out here but I am getting some under a tree by the house.

I found this interesting site. It appears fairly in depth. Amonium sulphamate sounds interesting but is unavailable in the USA but available throughout Europe. Cheap and way less toxic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Ivy be gone site

o

I had a patch under some oaks several years ago and like Roselee, I lopped it off then sprayed RU on the stems for several days in a row and it never came back.

o

There is an RU made especially to kill poison ivy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here