Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the city that cried tornado

Posted by pjtexgirl 7b DFW (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 16:27

This is the third time I've gotten a tornado warning in Burleson when the tornado is 10 or more miles away or like today there is NO tornado. We're in a watch. There is a severe thunderstorm warning 10 miles away. I don't mind warnings but kind of try to be more accurate! I have a laptop and a noaa radio to track weather. I'm sick of rounding everyone up in my closet then finding out I'm hell and gone from the weather. It's sunny outside with a light breeze ... birds chirping etc... and we got a warning!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the city that cried tornado

Sigh. And this is why my noaa alert radio was not replaced when it broke. Like you, I listen to noaa and watch the radars.

To be fair (which I don't want to be right now), can't a storm cover 10 miles in very few minutes? And heaven knows, if you don't keep abreast of the weather, you can get unpleasantly, if not fatally, surprised. The people who got storm damage would most probably happily trade with us!

o

• Posted by shebear z8 NCentralTex (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 18:14

Plano has been sounding it for really high winds too. We keep losing trees up here from all the wind.

o

How fast do they travel? If they can cross 10 miles in say 10 minutes it makes some sense. However, this particular tornado was 38 miles away. That seems kind of far. Here we had no weather at all. It was a gorgeous day for which I am grateful!
I'm sorry your trees keep getting blown down :(

o

A tornado doesn't travel far, but there can be more than one per storm. The tornado warning covers a wide area because of possible hail, high winds, and dangerous thunderstorms that usually come with it. If there was a large storm in your area with tornado potential, then the tornado could easily have formed over your neighborhood instead of 38 miles away.

o

I'm confused now!

A tornado WATCH is when conditions are favorable. You need to have the noaa radio on, keep a sharp eye out, and stay inside but not bunker down?

Tornado WARNING means there IS a tornado/straight wind/high winds, run and hide?

A severe thunderstorm is high wind, hail and lightning, do the tornado WATCH routine, and turn off electrical stuff?

Am I close?

o

yes, PJ pretty much.
A Warning means a tornado is somewhere in the area.
This is a huge metro area so that tornado could be miles and miles away, or right on top of you.
There is also the concern of where its headed.
So everyone gets the heads up alert. Stop what you're doing and check up on it. It may or may not be a concern to you and yours. Or it may be likely to head your way.

I think our sirens go off for heavy storms, not just tornadoes. I've always got an eye on weather cuz I have family spread out all over and a close friend who drives over 200 miles a day. (or close to that) She depends on me to warn her if something pops up where she's going or might be in her way coming home.

o

That makes total sense. Two hundred miles a day is quite a lot! I always wondered how people drove all day like that. How do they keep thier keester from cramping up and getting leg twitches? I about come out of my skin on long hauls in the car.

o
RE: driving a lot..

Well, she's constantly in and out of the car making deliveries. :) She covers a large area 6 days a week.

You might like to think of the tornado warning as similar to an Amber Alert. They want to notify as many as possible cuz you never know which way the stolen child/tornado may be headed. :)

Another thing about 'tornadoes' is they break off, split up or join up with other cells. It is constantly changing as the system (s) move and there can be multiple cells traveling over a large area at the same time.

o

The maximum speed for a very powerful tornado is estimated at 70 mph, but wind speeds can go over 250 mph. My paternal grandmother died in a tornado in Tennessee on March 11, 1923. There was usually no warnings back then. My grandfather was seriously injured and at first they didn't think he'd survive. My father (then 9 years old) and his older brother, in the same house as his parents, were somehow (mercifully!) not injured. That tornado is now believed to have been either an F-4 or F-5 tornado. I wish I could have known my grandmother Blanche, I really do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tornado FAQs

o

I was in Itasca during the storms and they didn't soound the alarm until we say the tornado drop from the sky. Never mind the hail, strong winds and swirling clouds before that.

o

The exact same thing happened in Benbrook without the sirens! I woke up feeling a wierd pressure in the room and saw branches and whatnot flinging past the window at an alarming rate. The next day the canopy from the gas station next to us was gone. There was very little rain and no hail. It was really wierd. In Burleson a stiff breeze seems to be the basis for alarm.
How bad was it in Itasca? Where is Itasca?

o

pjtexgirl-- Itasca is south of Burleson, sort of, on 35W north of Hillsboro. And you've probably already seen the headlines, but wfaa.com has an article entitled "Tornadoes devastate South, killing at least 290" which is an awful reminder why the sirens get sounded. Sigh. Heaven help those people who have been affected by this spring's tornadoes. We've been lucky so far. I needed the reminder.

My sil says people in her area have retrofitted their houses with tornado shelters by putting them under the slab in the garage floor. Don't know how that works. Don't the little storm safe rooms that Tech designed to withstand an F5 have to be built at the time the house is built? And darn it, you don't need one of these, until you really need it.

o

I read about those Merry. They retrofit a closet or build in (easier and cheaper) while the home is being built. I never knew how bad tornadoes were until I moved here. I assumed you could hide from one in a sturdy house and thought there were only one at a time. I didn't know there could be a bunch of them going for miles and miles. So far I've only been in the one small one. A big one would be horrific.
I feel so bad for those folks and I can't believe how many deaths there are like 390 now.

o

We have another tornado warning in Denton tonight. This must be the 10th in the past month. I hope all of this wind will at least pollinate my squash for me! haha

o

Well this weather LOOKS like tornado weather.

o

I drove home late yesterday afternoon through winds, rain and hail that sure felt like a tornado! I was sure that my windshield was going to be shattered! We had one that touched down about 2 miles west of the house (Azle), a few trees down but I haven't seen any home damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here