Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

creating a garden blog, but where?

cynthianovak
12 years ago

HI All

I know some of you have creative blogs. I would like to do one that tells the story of the garden and the process of coping and healing my husband's stroke...thank you garden! And, how a front yard garden brought people to us.

I had an ahh haa moment in the shower and I want to get started. FB seems limited in terms of content. Others seem hard to create. Sooo, I thought I would ask some of the most clever and creative folks I know. Ah, that would be you.

thank you

c

Comments (10)

• ladybugfruit
    12 years ago

blogger.com is easy peasy to use! Have fun with it!
    I linked mine below as a point of reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forget me nots

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

I also use blogger.com. It was quite easy, some bloggers prefer wordpress. Both are free sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Oak Deer

• denisew
    12 years ago

Try the blogger from Google. I used it to document the creation of a wildflower meadow across from a nearby elementary school. It was pretty simple to figure out and use. You just have to register to get started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blogger by Google

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    12 years ago

I, too, like Blogger! I actually tried Wordpress for a couple of weeks, but never could quite get the hang of it. Blogger seemed so much easier for a non-techie like me. I know some like Wordpress better, so maybe it was just me. But I'm glad I decided to give Blogger a try.

Good luck with your blog! Be sure to let us know what you name it! :)

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are great blogs! Love the doggie children and the antique stores.

Is there a limit to how much content you can have? Is it easy to upload photos? Do you use a smart phone? Have you thought of uploading sounds form one?

Thank you for being so helpful. I know a tech savy wordpress guru who says it is very easy but I also know that tech is a 3rd language to me and it takes a long time to translate what I want to what it understands.

thank you again
    c

• ladybugfruit
    12 years ago

I don't know for sure about content limitations, but I would think unless you are going for a Tolstoy blog entry, you should be fine. :) Very easy to upload photos! I don't ever do it from my smart phone, but I am sure you could.
    Be sure and let us know when you get your blog up and running! BTW, hollygardens didn't leave a link to her blog, but it's great!! I attached the link to hers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose and Other Gardening Joys

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    12 years ago

Aw, thanks ladybugfruit! :)

Cynthia, if you know a tech savvy wordpress guru who has the time and patience to answer all your questions, you may want to go that way. (I think the people with a lot of technical experience like Wordpress better. But the non-technical types love Blogger.) If you're on your own, I'd go with Blogger. As for uploading photos, it is very easy. My husband has not had to help me out at all! (And that is a true testimonial to how easy it is for a non-techie!)

I don't have a smartphone, but I do see lots of blogs that state the entire post was sent from their phone, and I also see a lot of videos uploaded, although I've never done it.

As for content limitations, the only limitation I know of is the limit on the number of header photos you can use (the photo used with your blog title). I rarely change my header photo, but a lot of people change it weekly. I've read on a few blogs that they are then told they have exceeded their limit and have to pay to put on a new header photo. So, pick out your header photo carefully and I probably wouldn't change it more often than quarterly. (Have no idea where that fine print is, or how much they are wanting to charge.)

But in the posts themselves, I post almost daily, and I upload lots of photos and have never heard of anyone having a problem with that. And I know a few blogs that have been running 5+ years, so word content should not be a problem.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go. You know, you could start a blog with each, and after the first few posts you'd probably know which one you'd like better. (You don't actually have to publish the posts.)

Hope that helps.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

The only limit I've heard of with Google is the photos and after you reach it there's $5 a year charge. Must take a while to get there because I post a lot of photos. When I changed my header to a collage, Google told me I was out of room so I deleted some extra photos that weren't on my blog and then no problem.

I don't use a smartphone, but you can upload to Blogger from almost anywhere. As long as you can connect to it you should be able to upload anything like videos with sound and slideshows. I'm pretty tech savvy and Blogger hasn't limited my imagination so far.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all
    Great blogs all! I am trying to find time to do this, naturally! But these look like great places to start.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

And please let us know when your blog is published.