Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Grow Cucumbers

Posted by nightrider767 San Antonio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 16:49

I've got some cucumber and squash coming along nicely, but I have never grown them before. Do they need to be lifted off the ground with a trellis, or can they be grown over a mulched bed?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Grow Cucumbers

Yes they do you need a small trellis or get like a chain link fence and do it. They going look really messy without a trellis.My mom put them on a trellis now. She use to grow them on the thing that you put concrete on? That mesh thing forgot what its call.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Hi, I'll just jump in here. I have grown cucumbers on the ground and just lifted the individual cukes on some plastic plates turned upside down that I had around (yes it looked odd, but when left on the ground things bothered the undersides) They do better grown up on something. What I like to do is make an arch of chicken wire and grow them over it. The kiddos like it for a hiding place, and I get them to weed under there. :)

o

I bought a cattle panel that is propped up vertically using metal posts. I have grown them vertically on other things before, but this is extremely sturdy and very inexpensive. I bought it at a local farm store for just over $20 and will be able to use it year after year. The cattle panel is about 4 feet tall and 10 feet long, so there is lots of room to grow plenty of produce.

o

I second the cattle panels. I use them for tomatoes, pole beans, cukes, squash. The possibilities are endless!

Susan

o

They definitely do better on a trellis, plus they take up less room that way.
Yellow Submarine

Photobucket

o

what about the bush type cukes? I got two of those with no experience. Anyone have an opinion????

thanks
c

o

• Posted by bobbi_p z8/9 Cypress, TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 17:56

Haven't planted the bush cukes before, but have grown other cukes both on the ground and on a trellis. On the ground a straw mulch underneath would help.

I went to the trellis only to give myself more horizontal space for other veggies.

I too, have a cattle panel purchased at TSC, but had to cut it in half to get it home and it's much more manageable anyway. My father built some really cool legs to stand them in to make it totally portable and aid in crop rotation. I'll have to take a picture and post it when I get them in place.

o

I have planted my cucumbers approx 7 wks ago and they are currently about 3' tall and very leafy. When will they start producing? I have many yellow flowers but no sign of cucumbers yet. How long does it take?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here