Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting asparagus fern

Posted by gardener972 7b-8a DFW (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 16:58

Is it possible to root asparagus fern stems in water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting asparagus fern

I have to ask. Why? It will take over a garden if given a chance. Those seeds seem to have a 200% germination rate!
Tally HO!

o

I really don't know, as Tally pointed out, some of us have no reason to try rooting it. But give it a shot, what have you got to lose.

It is not supposed to be hardy out side zones 9 & 10. I don't recall seeing it growing when I lived in other places.

o

I live in zone 8, and have had 18 of them in ground for 3 or 4 years now. I know a lady in SA who grows one in a large pot that stays outside year round as well. She's had that thing a good 10 years at least. Sometimes the foliage freezes and dies back but they always come back - so far.

I just read recently on the propagation forum that they won't root from cuttings. I believe it was division and seed only.

o

I am in North Texas, and have them inground. They are not invasive at all for me though I do have a few that come up from reseeding. I have always found a home for them up here. They have their place in the garden, especially when they get frozen back and are not invasive.

o

Mine in 7B come back from the roots also, but I have not seen any reseeding. Could be because I mulch a lot. I have tried the low-tech method of sticking broken bits in the soil, but none have rooted yet.

o

I gotta give 'em bonus points, they survived being Iked. Very few dead ones. And they are sprouting everywhere now.
Tally HO!

o

Have you looked at the roots and all those tubers strung out all over from one end of the root to the other? They do just as well as the tuber above ground.

o

I unpot mine and take a spade to it, dividing the roots into 4 parts each spring.

o

I have to take a saw to mine to divide them!

BTW, I love asparagus fern; in pots, planters, and in the ground too.

o

A big serrated knife or a machete works too.
Tally HO!

o

You know I had forgotten the days where I took a serrated knife to mine but I did it all the time. The roots will push out all dirt by the end of the summer if you keep them in pots as I did. I don't think you could kill it if you tried! I do like them in pots hanging on the porch - they can take the heat we have in Houston.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here