Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Where can I get hyacinth vine seeds?

TxMarti
12 years ago

I made the mistake of planting ALL of my saved seeds in an area that gets little extra water and they didn't make it through the drought. I'd like to plant again somewhere else. But I'm going to have to buy seeds this time. The last ones were given to me.

Comments (17)

• srburk
    12 years ago

Look at Onalee's. (onaleedotcom) She is supposed to be reputable per a website that shall not be mentioned (because it apparently gets me kicked off of here) and I believe she still has seed, if you can't find someone that has any.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Send me your mailing address and I'll send you some. They are several years old but I suspect most of them will sprout.

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

I got some about a month ago at Calloway's here in Dallas. It was packaged by a "major" seed seller, but I don't remember which one. It's someone I've seen in the big box stores, too.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks melvalena! CYE.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How long does it usually take these to germinate? I planted them several weeks ago and haven't seen a peep from them yet. I saved back a few just in case I wanted to put them somewhere else. Should I put them in some potting soil in the house?

• melvalena
    11 years ago

I have no idea... several weeks ago I planted several vine seeds, blue pea shell vine and some lavender moonflower)
    and so far only 2 have come up. I think it may need to be a bit warmer? I soaked the moon flower ones over night prior to planting.
    If I don't see some action soon I'll plant some of the hyacinth ones--then watch... I'll bet they all come up!

• lou_texas
    11 years ago

Marti, I also have plenty of hyacinth bean seeds from last year's crop. If you need some, send me your address. Lou

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lou. I'll give these a bit longer. I found a website how to check viability of seeds, so will do that with a few of the seeds I have left.

• aufelipe
    11 years ago

I planted some from last year's pods and they came up in about a week to 10 days in pots.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

aufelipe, what zone are you in?
    I remember them coming up pretty quickly in the past, but I think I planted a bit latter in the month of May.

• aufelipe
    11 years ago

I'm in Oak Cliff, Texas, as we say (OK, legally I'm in Dallas). It's 8-ish. I put 12 beans my neighbor gave me in pots on my back step. About a week later I had 5 seedlings, since transplanted and just beginning to climb.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Well then Marti's should be up by now too then.

• castro_gardener
    11 years ago

HB seeds come up pretty quickly. So do the clitoria/pea fine seeds. I started them in pots months ago. If you're getting some of this rain, set them out in the storm... the past few days I've had seeds pop up that have been doing nothing until they got rained on. I think one secret is to keep the soil moist for those hard coated seeds.

Good luck !

patty

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just went out to check and I'm pretty sure one sprouted. I'll check again tomorrow when the leaves start taking shape. Are they thin and pointed when they first emerge?

• aufelipe
    11 years ago

Well the first thing I saw was the "seed leaves" or cotyledon. They look like the bean itself split open and turned green. Then the real leaves are a pointed heart shape with purple already showing on the stems and veins. They look pretty much like this:
    http://www.vegetable-gardening-advice.com/vegetable-plant-identification.html

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh good, I think that's it. I was too busy to check this weekend, but will check again tomorrow. Should be easy to tell now.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a hyacinth bean vine! I'll stick some more seeds out and see if any of them sprout too.