Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing on my sago palm

Posted by angel123 San Antonio, Tx (pop741.1@netzero.com) on
Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 17:04

I have yellowing on my sago palm. Ive had watered it and it still yellowing. It gets full sun. Please help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing on my sago palm

is it yellowing on just the outside fronds or on the new inner growth? Newly planted or established? How is drainage? Last feeding?

o

Its on the outside fronds. Ive planted 6months ago. The drainage. I do not know how to test the drainage. I havent put any feeding on it. And if it needs feeding. What brand?

o

Angel, it's not unnormal for sago's to yellow/brown on the outside fronds so they can use that energy for new fronds. Once they turn brown (wait until then) just lop them off. It's important to wait for them to turn brown as the plant is withdrawing the chlorophyll etc back into itself so you don't want to take that away by cutting the frond off too soon. If the insides were yellowing, I'd be more concerned with it needing nutrients. You may have too much standing water and with all the rain we've had in SA, they don't need to be watered right now. They prefer it more dry than soggy. I use blood meal in spring and fish emulsion in fall when I fertilize. I also add a touch of epsom salt. I also add some sand each time so it can work its way in to help drainage. That's just what I do.

Also, do you know what variety it is? Some like gratus and ferox do not like full sun and they will yellow in it.

Others are welcome to give more 'expert' advice :)

o

I can tell you of my own experience with it. I put it in the ground 3 yrs ago & cover it with several layers of burlap or a couple old king size sheets when temps get below 40ish. But I believe that freezing temps cause the yellow damage on mine. I have several fronds with just little sections yellow, which I eventually cut off. But it growns so well outside that it makes up for it by end of summer. I'm afraid it will outgrow it's spot & the king size sheets in another year or so. LOL.

o

You might also want to check the underside of the yellowed fronds for scale insects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here