Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shawnalis

thyme as groundcover

shawnalis
13 years ago

Does any type of creeping thyme work well here as a groundcover? I haven't noticed it locally in yards, so I'm suspicious, but what I read about it makes me want it.

If it isn't a good option, what would you recommend? North side of the house, part shade all day.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (13)

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

The places Ive seen it as a ground cover it was very thick and very aggressive. I have mine contained in a pot. I have not used it as a ground cover myself.

• tx_ag_95
    13 years ago

One of the workers at Northaven Gardens suggested it as a groundcover for me a few years ago. I just put one pot of a silver posie thyme in the ground on Friday. The creeping mother of thyme that I have in a pot makes a thick mat and drips over the edge if I don't harvest it quickly enough.

As for seeing it in local yards, the odds of that are exceedingly low. Dallas has the mindset that yards MUST be GRASS, preferably St. Augustine.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

I have the pixie thyme and lemon thyme in my shady garden around my stepping stones. It isn't evergreen but has returned for 3 springs now. I love ajuga in this garden too despite it's aggressive nature :-)

Pam

• shawnalis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to try it!

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

I had it for a while, maybe 5 years, and loved it. I don't think it's here this year though. Think it eventually withered away.
    You ought to get it and try it! Made me want Italian food every time I brushed against it.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

I have heard that Thyme likes to be planted in fall. It needs to get its roots in the ground before the BIG HEAT. I had wooly time and it did not like the summer planting. I tried it in the fall and it took . But then a few years later, we had a drought and it died. I do not do supplemental watering in that garden after plants are established. I am thinking it might like winter watering. Some of my Mediterranean plants are showing strain this year after only getting 3 " of rain since September.

I think some thyme.might not like our hot nights.

• suburbangreen
    13 years ago

I planted some three years ago in a raised-bed and it has done well. It looks beautiful in bloom hanging over the edge of the bed. It slowly spreads in the Spring and Fall, but the new growth is easy to pull out and contain. I give mine some extra water during the Summer, but otherwise don't water it. It grows in a partial sun area on the edge of the house.

Pete

• ProjectGirl5
    12 years ago

I have it as a ground cover in between my split concrete driveway. I planted it last year, and it is still around this year. It's doing fine... (I'm the anti-grass east Dallasite... lol)

• merrybookwyrm
    12 years ago

I have some English thyme planted under the yaupon in heavy clay. The bed is raised about 2 inches from the surrounding soil and doesn't get supplemental water. It has lived there 5 or 6 years. It is on the north side of the house, the yaupon is about 10 feet from the house, and thyme is shaded on the west by evergreen dwarf yaupon bushes. The clump is _slowly_ increasing in size and isn't thinned at all. It does seem to make seedlings that sprout in the fall. The lawn mower discourages it mightily.

• emrogers
    10 years ago

Hi, we currently laid down our flagstone walkway.I left room for planting something between the stones. However,I'm very discouraged now because I called Nicholson Hardie and the guy said I'm better off planting artificial grass between my stones because it's extremely hard growing anything between stones. Any who, I wanted creeping thyme but they only had English thyme. Any suggestions? I'm upset because I really wanted it. Morning sun but afternoon shade.
    Thanks!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

By artificial grass, do you mean something synthetic?

• tx_ag_95
    10 years ago

If you're in D/FW, go by Northaven Gardens or Calloways, they typically have the creeping mother of thyme. Mine didn't survive in the front yard, but, then again, I've killed it in a pot by giving it too much sun and not enough water.

• ilovemyroses
    10 years ago

I have great luck with it. Not a problem. Northaven has a lot of options in thyme. I have English.