Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
necia_gw

Need help finding an evergreen, pyramid shaped shrub

necia
16 years ago

Hello! I don't have a picture (I will try to get one) but as I was snooping around the ritzy neighborhoods looking for landscape ideas, I saw a really neat shrub. It is shaped like a pyramid but not a cypress or juniper. Its leaves really looked bigger, maybe like a holly's. I can't get a close up view without being arrested, so I may try to sneak some pictures from the car. I found one online that looks really similar:

http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/shrubs_productdetails.aspx?proname=Holly+-+Castle+Spire

I just don't know if the above would be a good Texas shrub, so it may not be the one that I am seeing. It is the perfect size, though. I just haven't seen it offered locally.

Please help!

Thanks,

Necia

Here is a link that might be useful: Is it this?

Comments (7)

• denisew
    16 years ago

It is an attractive holly. I have not tried to grow it, but it might be worth a try. The only thing is trying to find one at a local nursery. Another holly that grows in that lovely pyramidal shape is the Nellie R. Stevens holly. Take a look at it in the link below. This one is usually available at most nurseries. It makes a nice accent plant and also a good background plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nellie R. Stevens Holly

• justintx
    16 years ago

Ditto the Nellie R. Stevens Holly. Check your height limitations.

• necia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I read that the Nellie gets to be 30' tall. I am thinking that it will be just too big for the front of the house. :(

Necia

• sandradee
    16 years ago

Necia,

You might be seeing a Foster's Holly. While the info on the regular plant shows a mature height of 20-30', I haven't seen them that large. In another state, I had an entire fenceline accented with Foster's holly and they stayed about 10-15'. It looked like a line of Christmas trees.

There may be a dwarf version, but I'm not sure.

Hope your move went well.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Ilex attenuata

• debndal
    16 years ago

It could be that the shrub you saw is being shaped in that manner and doesn't necessarily grow in that shape. If you don't mind doing the shaping once or twice a year, probably any holly with the correct height could be used.

• cynthianovak
    16 years ago

There's a holly / tree in my neighborhood. The unusual shape caught my attention and I asked the owner. I know it was some sort of holly. It has red berries in the winter and is definitely evergreen.

It is a good 20 ft tall, maybe taller. She has cut the bottom branches off so it looks rather like a big pyramid on a ine trunk.

cynthia

• necia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all of the input!

Sandy, I may try the Foster's holly. I was reading last night about it in the Neil Sperry Texas Gardening book (finally got my gardening books out of storage!) and he said that the Foster could be kept at 10' with pruning.

The move went pretty good. Nothing got broken, so I guess that it went great! We actually moved the furniture on the Friday that it snowed a little. It was an experience!

I am just dying to get these flower beds ready so I can get my 50 perennials that I brought with me planted. I have never seen such hard, red clay dirt! I had spent 8 years at the old house ammending the soil ~ it was like black gold! Now, I get to start all over. :(

DH said that we will get a truck load of compost on Wednesday and start working on the beds where the shrubs will go. I need to get those in quickly, before it gets too hot!

Goodness, I hope I didn't ramble on too long! Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Necia