Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jray429

Lantana's

Jeremy
10 years ago

My lantana's were clipped back in February. I'm wondering when I should expect new growth or is it possible the harsh winter killed them? I've yet to see any new growth this year.

Comments (5)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

What kind are they? Our Texas lantana (lantana urticoides) is just starting to show signs of life at the base. L. camara and it's hybrids are not so hardy in north Texas; I think last winter's lows would have killed most left in the ground around here unless in a very well sheltered spot. A 'New Gold' start we kept alive in heated space over the winter was replanted last week and already has a flower.

• TexasRanger10
    10 years ago

It depends on the type.

I'm seeing new growth on the L. urticoides. I have an unknown sterile hybrid large bush type that blooms solid gold thats showing life too. Carnival is another large bush type that winters just fine up here, I got cuttings from both since they were obviously hardy.

The wild camara comes back but not those nursery hybrid bedding types.

I'm still waiting on 'Dallas Red', its listed hardy to zone 8 so that one was a stretch for me & I took cuttings last fall (its gorgeous). Carnival & 'Miss Huff', are supposed to do OK in zone 7 & according to some sources zone 6 but no signs yet.

The 'New Gold' ground cover type always comes back too but a bit later & I don't have it sheltered or anything special. I'm way further north of Dallas.

• Jeremy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not positive what kind they are. They grow very large(4ft wide) with bright orange flowers. I checked the base of the root last night and I did see a couple small green sprouts. Maybe they did survive the winter. This type has been hard to find at the large retail stores the last couple years. It seems I mostly see the smaller versions that only get half the size.

Thanks for all the replies.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

The 'New Gold' ground cover type always comes back too but a bit later & I don't have it sheltered or anything special. I'm way further north of Dallas.

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if all the 'New Gold' lantanas are even the same line. The one Lowes sells around here as an annual is an l. camara hybrid rated to only 32ð F and it seems to behave that way for us. Monrovia says theirs is good only to zone 10 and TAMU rates it to 8b, but have seen other grower ratings and plenty of comments about them returning reliably well into 7. Guess we'll see if whatever we have can overwinter outside this year on a south facing brick wall.

• TexasRanger10
    10 years ago

Who know's? I found Lantana varieties confusing, I spent a lot of time researching them & looking for sources last year. I finally got the big hardy kinds by hook or crook because I could not find them online or at the nursery's. I'll leave it at that.

The only hardy kinds I bought locally were 'Miss Huff'. The rest I started from seed I bought from Texas Native Plants (urticoides) or cuttings from established big ones around here that I knew were hardy.

I just checked around outside, a couple more are showing signs of growth. If I need replacements for any that didn't make it, I'll root more cuttings from these.

The gold kind I got at Farmer's Mkt (New Gold or Old Gold? I have no idea, it wasn't labeled) is very low growing but not nearly as fast growing or heavy blooming as 'Dallas Red' which was unbelievable last year, it spread to at least 6ft wide and bloomed like crazy. If its not hardy (so far nothing) I'll just winter over cuttings.