Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What wood can you make raised beds from?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 17:23

I'd like to make some strawberry beds, with a screened top and would like to make them tall enough to sit on, but I can only think of landscape timbers. I don't want to use anything treated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What wood can you make raised beds from?

I used concrete blocks, they're very sturdy and you can get flat blocks for the top row so you can sit or kneel right on it. A frame for screen or row cover works great on the blocks too.

o

I would use cedar wood if it was me, and certainly dont use any treated wood. You might check out the DIY network on the web and see what suggestions they have.

o

If you want to use wood I'd go with the cedar or the composite decking material that looks like wood but is actually a plastic. If you're willing to replace the wood in a few years, you can use untreated lumber. That's what my garden is made of. I'm going to use cinder blocks for the next one, though. It's easier for me to work with.

o

My raised veggie beds are made with cinder blocks, and I love them. I leave the holes upright, fill with potting soil and plant my zinnias and marigolds in them.

o

Thank you! I never even thought of cinder blocks and I've already got some of those around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here