Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What flower is this?

Posted by adellabedella 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 18:25

Landscapers were doing a change out of flowers in the median today and were throwing the old ones away. I asked for and received ten of these plants. They look really nice around my tree. Does anyone know what they are?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What flower is this?

some variety of marigold?

o

Or specifically maybe a calendula, also known as pot marigold. They tolerate cold weather so are often planted to bloom in late winter and then taken out to be replaced by warm weather annuals, but it will continue to bloom until it gets hot. Good find!

o

Thanks! I think it is a calendula.

o

Great find. I'm always hoping to be around when I see some of these businesses or apt complexes changing their landscaping plants.

I'm not even sure if they donate them to somewhere else. I feel that they probably just throw them away :-(

At the least, let someone compost them!

o

Gather seeds and save for next fall. Seed heads for these are really interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here