Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

'Afterglow' Jolana's Grandmother's Iris

sylviatexas1
15 years ago

sorry for the blurriness; it was windy, & I ain't that good a photographer!

This is the iris Jolana sent out several years ago so that her grandmother's iris would bloom all over Texas.

Mine has been just beautiful this year, & it's multiplied, so I've begun passing it on.

In future springtimes, it'll bloom in Duncanville, Wilmer, & Irving!

Comments (18)

• denisew
    15 years ago

Well, the color looks pretty. Maybe try again on a calm morning. Sometimes we have to be patient when we're looking for just the right shot. That is wonderful that her grandmother's iris is blooming across Texas.

• plantmaven
    15 years ago

They are here in San Antonio, too. They have bloomed and bloomed and are still blooming.
    Some will go out to Canyon Lake later this year.

• jolanaweb
    15 years ago

Aww, pretty soon they will be nationwide, lol
    Thank y'all

They are in at least 4 states now, lol
    Isn't that cool

• carrie751
    15 years ago

But none in Copper Canyon as yet .....

• jolanaweb
    15 years ago

Carrie, I offered years ago, lol

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carrie, remind me next time we're all planning to meet up!

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Or on the coast. Will it grow here? So many iris won't. What I wouldn't give for a bunch of bearded iris that like humidity!
    Tally HO!

• jolanaweb
    15 years ago

Tally, Carrie is getting some when she comes for homecoming and we could try them down your way. One of my DD's has it in Houston

Wanna? Email me your addy. Do you still have my email?

I have sent you a bunch but some have come back
    jolana

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Yeah, Tally, I am stocking up, so better get that email address to Jolana BEFORE I get there next week-end!!

• wally_1936
    15 years ago

beachplant they grow in Freeport and that is as close to the coast as Galveston. They don't like wet feet so make sure the soil drains well. I am enjoying mine as they have just started blooming and I bought mine at Wally World so if they grow being bought there they should do well down your way as long as it isn't salty soil. Some people use raised beds to be sure they don't get drowned in the rainy season. If you can find fresh roots they should do well with a lot of care. Does anyone know where I can find that White Texas bearded Iris that does so well here??

• marcie_new
    15 years ago

Well every year we go to freeport for vacation(surfside) and of course we go to lake jackson drive thru clute and sometimes we stop at the aquario in lake jackson,maybe this year we get to see some of those irises around there! I always wonder what type of elephant ear is the one that some one has growing in front of their house on 360 before Guy it sure is really BIG.Is it because its old? or just that type of breed?

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd think the sandy soil would be worse than the humidity.
    If so, all you need to do is add some wonderful north central Texas black gumbo clay to your raised beds...

You might check on the Iris Forum just to be sure.

Wally, are you thinking of Iris Albicans, the White Cemetary Iris?

If so, put an ad on craigslist or freecycle, & I bet you'll find someone who'll invite you to thin a bunch out of their garden.

I just love 'em;
    they bloom very early, along with a yellow historic intermediate & Crimson King, a red/purple oldie.

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Our soil just kind of eats anything organic that you put in it. I bet it would eat up that clay and leave not a trace.
    A couple of the LA iris returned strong and bloomed or are blooming. And a deep blue that I got in a trade years ago that has always done kind of mediocre-it's taken off and has been blooming for weeks. I don't know if it's the fact they all got drowned, there is no shade anymore or what but the ones that survived are kicking booty and taking names.
    Tally Ho!
    Carrie-I got my address there in time. Now that I know when you'll be gone I can head to YOUR house with my shovel.....hehehehe

• jolanaweb
    15 years ago

Tally, I just bought a new shovel, stop by here and you can use it, lol
    jolana

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Too late, too many others have already been here with shovels ... holes everywhere !!!!

• Sowth Efrikan
    15 years ago

That's a very pretty old iris, and sharing around the country is a lovely idea.

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Wow! Got a huge box of these yesterday, digging a hole tonight to plant them. When they get going good and spread I'll mail some to Delaware too. Thanks tons!!
    Tally Ho!

• jolanaweb
    15 years ago

Yea!! Tally you should email me if there is anything else you are wanting, I might not have what you are looking but we might be able to get it
    jolana