Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cestbellevie

Anyone know how to get rid of GRUBS??

cestbellevie
16 years ago

Help!!!!! My garden is full of grubs. How can I get rid of them without using pesticides????

Comments (22)

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Milky spore

Here is a link that might be useful: Milky Spore

• veggiedreams
    16 years ago

I have a serious grub problem as well. I recently applied beneficial nematodes (Heterorhabditis) as recommended in Howard Garrett's book, Texas Organic Vegetable Gardening. I applied it a few weeks ago, and have still seen some grubs (and grub babies--yuck!). Though it's hard to know if there has been a decrease in grubs without turning up the soil again; but I've already planted, so that's not happening.

One thing to note about the above product is that it is ONLY affective for the grubs that become Japanese beetles, not June beetles. See the link below for more info. From their description, the grubs I have are definitley the larvae of the Japanese beetle. I'm going to look into this product as a backup to the nematodes.

best,
    veg

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on grubs in Texas

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

I started using Milky Spore after reading several articles about it and we decided to try it on our grubs, mainly to try to rid the gardens of moles, we no longer have grubs where we treated and my son cut the leg off of one like this article suggests and, it appeared to be infected
    Now, I don't see any.
    I agree, *now* help would be nematodes, but long term, like I said MS has worked very well for us

Here is a link that might be useful: article on Milky Spore

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

We sprayed the beneficial nemetodes when we saw our first june bugs, Bob Webster from shades of green, gave this advise on his Sunday radio garden show channel 55. He said this is the best time to spray for control of grubs fleas,ticks, and ants. I have noticed that the moles are gone, I only found 2 grubs in my flowerbed last week, the ants are almost gone. The only problem is that you have to put them down ever 60 days, we sprayed 4 weeks ago. Barbra,

• texasgirl54
    16 years ago

honeybunny

Where do you get nemetodes? I looked at Home Depot & Lowes
    and they don't have it.

Christine

• stephanieftx
    16 years ago

You won't find them at Lowe's or Garden Ridge. You'll need to get them from an organic garden center or maybe a feed store. There are also places online that sell them.

Stephanie

• cynthianovak
    16 years ago

I heard this on the radio, can't say I did it but it does not require spraying, it does require a set of those spiked things for your shoes.

The organic gardener said he discovered this by accident while aerating his soil. The spikes go deeper than the grubs like to live.

YOu get the picture or shall I say the puncture
    cynthia

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I thought about carrying benny nematodes at my garden center but they require reefer to keep them cool enough to stay viable so for now we are not set up to cool the nemos .. maybe in the future. I am curious about the spikes referred to above since areation is important in many case, plus the challenge of grubs (which I have few but ants and fleas can be a problem some years).
    Happy Growing David

• denisew
    16 years ago

David - One of our local nurseries (Puckett's Nursery in Allen) purchased a small refrigeration unit about three or four years ago. It has a clear top and opens from the top. They didn't used to sell anything organic except maybe sulphur and now they sell a lot of organic products. They still sell the chemical stuff, but I am so glad they now give people an choice.

I have heard of using nematodes and I know I need to put more down this week (need to get over to Puckett's to get some!) I put them down to control grubs, fleas, ticks, and any other ground dwelling pest they might like to eat.

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

Just bought a bunch. I got them from Marshall Grain Company, in Fort Worth. Seems like I have a lot less fire ants and grubs this year as compared to last. It does take a while for them to build up in your soil, so with each consecutive treatment, you should notice better results.

• sowngrow (8a)
    16 years ago

Gardens Alive sells the beneficial nematodes too:

www.gardensalive.com

• carla morey
    16 years ago

Please excuse a naive question but ... are all grubs bad in north Texas? Howard Garrett (DirtDoctor) says that 90% of grubs are beneficial and only eating decaying material. I see lots of grubs in my yard, mainly because I have so much mulch in my flowerbeds. I throw the big June Bug grubs to the birds, but leave the little guys alone. I can't see that the grubs have damaged anything in my yard. Should I be trying to eliminate them? Please help me to understand this issue better.

Carla in Rowlett

• dallasbill
    16 years ago

And Milky spore is an expensive waste in north Texas because it dies every year -- gets too hot and too cold here for it.

Nematodes!

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Dallasbill, this is just a question because I want to learn
    How do you know? Don't take this as me doubting, please

jolana

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Texas Girl, we got our beneficial nemitodes at Lockhill feed store in San Antonio, they are $48 for 6 million, but Jim, in Aranasa found them at Turners Nursery in Corpus Christi, for $22.50 for 6 million. Next month we are going to Corpus to get them. I can really tell the diffrence. You have to spray them in the evening when it is cool, and sprinkle the yard. We were lucky and it rained for 4 days, after we sprayed. My husband and I laughted, and laughted, since the nemitodes are invisible, and we kept thinking what if the sponge was empty, but it wasn't. Barbra,

• stephanieftx
    16 years ago

If you're in San Antonio, have you checked at Shades of Green for nematodes? Might be cheaper than a drive to Corpus!

Stephanie

Here is a link that might be useful: Shades of Green

• carmilla
    16 years ago

Help!! I have been watching my grass, because I put scotts crabgrass killer down on April 1,07. But I realize today the front grass isn't coming in now. The lawn is infested with grubs. Help please!

• maden_theshade
    16 years ago

I squish 'em.

But that only works when you catch 'em.

Who has tried that divining worm trick...does that work for grubs too?

• MrsBox77
    16 years ago

I was told that grubs normally live deep down in the soil till it gets dry, then they come up to get the moisture out of the plants...this in turn kills the plants/lawn.

I keep my lawn watered so they stay down where they belong. In June, when they come out as bugs, the frogs come out and eat them. I would hate to keep the frogs from their dinner, so I water....a lot. However, watering is relaxing to me. I sit on the porch, open a window so I can hear the music, get a cool drink, and sit and watch/move the sprinklers............ahhh....better than a vacation!

• chena
    16 years ago

I will gladly send some Armadillo's your way!!!...LOL

• maden_theshade
    16 years ago

Yeah, Armadillo's love grubs! My mom once had a pet chicken and she loved grubs too! She would help us weed and dig on the off chance she'd find a little treat.

Now if you could divine up the grubs like the worms, you could get a little chicken to eat them as they come up!

• eric_d_ronning_gmail_com
    13 years ago

There are tons of things you can do to get rid of grubs. Milky Spore is probably the best, beneficial nematodes are probably the second best. It also helps a lot to cut down on watering. Do infrequent deep waterings instead of frequent shallow ones. Aerator sandals are nice too.

Good luck with the grubs

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: Grub Control

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure