Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
groundcovers for DFW

Posted by liz_h 7/8 DFW Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 18:50

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some groundcovers that won't get more than 4-6" high. I have some shade areas and some sun. Most of the area is covered by the septic spray, so water isn't a problem. I don't want something that needs mowing, or at least not very often. I also need something that will choke out weeds.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: groundcovers for DFW

I have vinca vine. It makes pretty flowers too. In my garden, strawberries made terrific ground cover and stayed green all winter. Didn't get many berries, but it sure mad a great ground cover!

o

Sounds like an area where lamium would work. There are numerous varieties.

o

I use creeping jenny, and it can take a limited amount of foot traffic.

o

Horseherb would work, it'll take some foot traffic and spreads on its own, so it should choke out the weeds. I found it at Northaven Gardens and a Denton native plant sale, then found it volunteering in my yard.

o

If you want something evergreen and VERY dense and don't care that it doesn't flower, Blue Pacific Juniper is great. I have it in a couple of beds and plant perennials around it. You can let it grow to 6-9 feet wide, or you can prune out the longest stems in winter to keep them in bounds. I have it in full sun, and 1 plant that only gets early morning and very late afternoon sun, and it does well too. Won't take foot trafic tho. It's definitely a shrub, mine are less than 4-5" tall.

o

• Posted by liz_h 7/8 DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 18:06

All of these sound like good plants, though for this particular area, I need something that can be kept at no more than six inches without frequent maintenance. Otherwise it interferes with the septic spray.

o

debndal-- do you ever water the Blue Pacific Juniper?

liz h-- would dwarf mondo grass work? Some of those don't get very tall. If the septic spray occasionally keeps the ground wet, maybe ajuga?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here