Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun requirements for hibiscus acetosella Haight Ashbury

Posted by pkponder 8 Azle (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 18:55

I found the most gorgeous variegated hibicus at Ace hardware and although the tag states full sun, I need to know if that means full Texas sun. Anyone with experience? The blooms sound pretty but I got it for the foliage.

TIA,
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun requirements for hibiscus acetosella Haight Ashbury

Yes I have had it and have it again. It popped up at my local Ace this fall and I kept it inside all winter. It does not like frosty air....grins...but is coming back

It does like regular water, but is not as thirsty as the tropical hibiscus. It will lose it;s leaves and then put them back on. I have had it in part sun because that is what I have. It has taken several hours of afternoon sun in August and been greateful for it. It can get tall as in 6 ft tall. It blooms dark blood red velvet color flowers in late November just before it freezes here.

Would I put it in a west facing location that is arid...no.
Would I put it in a pot that gets 6 hours of sun and that I am willing to water most days? Yes! It is more colorful with more sun but it doesn't need full blazing sun to be stunning.

c

o

I agree with cynthia...morning sun will still keep leaf color without frying the whole plant. I lost mine this year. What can I offer you for cuttings?

o

Thanks Cynthia! I'm thinking of adding it to one of my sunny locations, the butterfly garden. Southern exposure and it really gets hot there in the summer. I have a lot more shady areas.

Since it's zone 10, do you cut it back and overwinter inside or just get a new one in the spring?

o

Misti, it's tiny now but should it grow to knee height, I'll be happy to take some cuttings! I have no idea what to trade for. Do you grow shady groundcovers? I have lots of ajuga alraedy and tons of horseherb. Are you in the DFW area?

o

pkponder I am close to Flower Mound. It will grow was past knee high and quickly! I am starting wooly thyme as groundcover. If you have horseherb would you like frog fruit?

o

pk..forgot to add, mulch heavily in late fall, take cuttings and root in water, pot up and keep alive until spring.

o

Misti, thanks for the propagation tips. I'll keep you posted on the cuttings.
I love both wooly thyme and frogfruit.

I drive right through southern Flower Mound (1171) two evenings a week.

o

Oh goodie, we will have to get together!

o

Oh goodie, we will have to get together!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here