Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppers Question

Posted by srilunewgardener (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 18:56

Hi All,
I planted some red pepper seeds today. I wanted to plant green peppers too. But, just today, I found out that Red peppers are actually ripened green peppers. Are my peppers going to be green when they are raw? I don't need to get green pepper seeds now. I planted enough seeds to pick some of them raw and leave the rest to ripen.
Thank you,
Srilu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppers Question

• Posted by timh z8 E.Tx. (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 12:57

Yup...you got it. Most all Peppers ripen to red. Your typical "green" bell pepper will always ripen to red. There are a few varieties that are specifically grown for their red stage but any will do. Even things such as Jalapeno will, when left on the plant, ripen to a bright red. I always try to leave a large % to ripen, They have so much flavor (sweet!) and tons more vitamin C.
It is always best to pick your first few peppers of the season at the green stage. If you leave the early ones to ripen to red, your total yeild tends to be smaller.
You might want to consider getting some transplants in the ground. They are cheap and you will be picking peppers long before your seedling are producing. I usually have my pepper seeds planted around Valentines day for setting out at about this time. No need to lose valuable time waiting on your seedlings. Remember, the days to production written on the back of seed packs are often from the date of TRANSPLANT when it comes to things like peppers.

o
RE: Peppers Question

Thank you. That's a very good information. I will get some transplants too and plant them along with the seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here