Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wexy1000

Plants for a northeast facing bed

wexy1000
11 years ago

Hello, I read this forum regularly and really appreciate all the great information. I'm getting ready to redo the bed in front of my house. This bed gets sun until about 2:00PM when it goes into shade for the rest of the day. I don't want anything very tall and I'd like to have some flowering color. That's really my only thoughts about it. The bed is about 20 X 5. I'm interested in plants that are not extraordinarily fussy or thirsty. I don't mind watering twice a week though. Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Hi Rowdysmom, welcome to the forum! I also have a Northeast facing bed (mostly north) in front of my house, recently put Indian Hawthorne in along with olpheopogon (sp?)along with a camellia. So far they're doing fine, will know better in another year (and another summer!). I also moved a couple of hellebores out there when we cut our 50' cedar elm in back, so far, so good, time will tell!

• whitecap2
    11 years ago

What planting zone are you in? Do the plants need to be evergreen, and how tall is "too tall"? How many hours of direct light does the bed receive?

• wexy1000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I meant to say I live in Austin. My bed gets sunlight from sun up (6-7A) to 2:00PM right now. I think in the dead of summer it gets direct sun till about 3:00PM. The plants do not have to be evergreen, that would be nice, but not a requirement. I would like them to bloom sometimes, and I don't want big bushes. I'd like the plants to be 2-3 ft. X 2-3 ft. at the largest. They can be smaller. I'd like some different things, not the same hedge all the way across.

• whitecap2
    11 years ago

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but I have similar conditions in my back yard, not far from you, and I can tell you what has and hasn't worked for me. First of all, I don't think morning sun satisfies sun loving plants nearly as much as afternoon sun. I'm getting a little more afternoon sun than you, but I've been disappointed in the salvias and lantanas. They bloom, but just get a little to "leggy" to be really attractive. Plumbago (both blue and white blooming) and pavonia, on the other hand, do very well. They will usually die back in winter, but are very good about coming back. Same for Mexican heather. Bicolor iris also does well. It doesn't bloom often, but has attractive foliage.

Asparagus fern should do well in your bed, and contrast nicely with Purple Heart. I'm doubtful holly fern could take that much light, but you could give it a try.

Low, blooming shrubs is where we come up short. Indian hawthorn blooms briefly, but be sure to select the appropriate cultivar (some get very tall.) I'm partial to Gulf Stream and Harbor Dwarf nandina. They're evergreen, and will give you some nice rust and gold coloration during the winter. You might be getting just enough sun for Crimson Pygmy barberry to do well. Among the hollies, dwarf yaupon would be the "tried and true" selection.

The conditions you describe would probably be ideal for daylilies, but I personally don't consider them truly "drought tolerant" (not if you want to keep them looking nice, anyway.)

• wexy1000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks whitecap2, I like many of your suggestions, especially plumbago, rockrose, Mexican heather and pygmy barberry. I think I'll try some day lilies too. I wouldn't have enough for watering them extra to be a problem.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please chime in!

• DchsofAbby
    11 years ago

I'm not an expert gardener and I'm in Houston so things may be a little different but I've had great success with Bulbine and Society Garlic. I have them in a full sun location and in a morning only sun location and they're all doing great. I also agree with Mexican Heather - also super easy and the flowers seem to last all year.

• lou_texas
    11 years ago

Hello Rowdy's mom! (BTW, I'm Rowdy's nana) : )

I've got several small roses that you might like to try for a different look. You can't beat Munstead Wood (gorgeous dark red) or Pretty Jessica (luscious pink) for fragrance and beauty. Jessica stays under 3ft and I expect my two Munsteads to be just a bit taller (they're still new this year). I don't know if you'd consider 3ft small for a shrub. (?)

I also have some small shrub roses that have a wonderful fragrance: Tranquility and Titanic. The Titanic has beautiful dark green glossy foliage, and I'd have it for that reason alone even if it didn't smell so heavenly. Both Titanic and Tranquility are pale with just a blush of pink. Titanic tends a little more toward a peachy blush.

I also have three Valentine roses(red blooms of course) which get to about 3 1/2 feet and are almost never out of flower. This variety lacks strong fragrance, but the plants are show stoppers. This is the first rose that I bought for my daughter (who has trouble keeping plants alive). Hers is three years old and blooming like crazy by her front door.

And BTW, I don't spray for any reason and rarely have blackspot on the leaves.

There are other roses that stay small and are trouble-free, and there are many miniatures too.

I like to intersperse here and there among the roses a small ornamental grass named Little Bunny or Red Bunny Tails for variety, and I like the movement of these grasses in the breeze. Just a thought - for a different look.

I also intersperse asparagus fern and fatsia japonica and some short cannas just for a contrast in foliage. It all seems to work well.

Have fun with your new bed. Makes me want to start another one or redo one. Lou

• lou_texas
    11 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see the part about not taller than 3ft. You might like to try miniatures for a different look. And the grasses I mentioned stay under 2ft. Lou

• wexy1000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lou! I always though roses needed full sun and that they wouldn't do well with afternoon shade. I'm glad to know that they will do OK. I would like some small roses!

• nally03
    11 years ago

I'm no expert, but I have lots of Autumn Sage (salvia greggi) in my north facing bed and I love the look. Lots of wispy foliage and cute little flowers. I have pink, red, and purple. It can get quite large, spreading out over 2-3 feet over a few years, but isn't terribly tall (maybe 18-24 inches?).

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

You may want to consider a compact abelia, such as Kaleidescope. They have wonderful foliage and nice little blooms.
    http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/947/kaleidoscope-abelia.php
    Serissa foetida is also a very low growing shrub with delightful little white blooms.
    Persicaria is another that I really enjoy in my garden and may be another good choice for you. The foliage is colorful and it produces sprays of tiny cream-color flowers. I also have several evergreen daylilies that make attractive fillers and, of course, beautiful blooms. I'm also a fan of plumbago and I find that the white one is a little bit smaller than the blue.
    I also believe the Valentine rose (floribunda) will work well in that bed. They are indeed great bloomers and are thornless as well.
    Molly

• whitecap2
    11 years ago

Might want to take a look at the soil and drainage preferences of roses.