Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purple_is_a_fruit

Sago palms are dividing

purple_is_a_fruit
14 years ago

I have 3 very large (~6ft) sagos in my front yard. Last year i noticed that one of them bloomed (right word?) strangely, the leaves were intermingled and didn't spread out like the others.

This year, I have realized that the head has actually divided into 2 separate heads and are now growing out in opposite directions. This is going to change the symmetry that I have going in the front yard. Is there anything I can do to fix this back to the way it was, apart from taking an axe to one of the heads? And even if I did that, won't the other one still grow off to one direction?

If you can't tell, I'm knew at this, but any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

-D

Comments (20)

• katyroadpink
    14 years ago

Can you post a picture of the two-headed Sago?

• purple_is_a_fruit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1346673}}

This one faces towards the yard.

{{gwi:1346674}}

This one faces towards the street.

{{gwi:1346675}}

This is a side view perpendicular to the heads. You can see how the leaves (stems?) are coming out awkwardly. The heads are still nubs right now which is why I considered chopping one of them. Any ideas?

-D

• purple_is_a_fruit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hate to bug everyone with this again but...does anyone have any ideas on what to do with my 2 headed muppet sago?

• allen_gw
    14 years ago

you are lucky to have the double,do not cut it just enjoy it Allen

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Congratualtions! It a happy mature male sago and it's blooming! Sagos are either male or female and the specimen you've pictured appears to be putting up the male part that will look like a very tall pine cone. It will topple over in a few weeks and life will go back to normal.

Here's a picture of the bloom on mine from a couple of years ago:

It's blooming again this year and the bud is about the size of the one on your palm.

The female sago flower looks like a fluffy nest of brown eggs which hatch orange. It doesn't bloom as often as the male one does.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

By the way, the bloom does seem to come out more on one side than the other as you've noticed, but my palm does not appear to be lopsided or to have split into two branches or sections when it is not in flower. It's been blooming for about four or five years.

Other than trying to balance the appearance by carefully prunning of the fronds I guess there is not much you can do but let mother nature have her way, and to just try to see it as 'interesting.'

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

After trimming mine back one time, I realized it was a job that I didn't want to do again. So, I just let it go, and now, 13 years later, it is prettier in its natural state than the well manicured ones. At least I think so.

• jchenderson59
    7 years ago

I have a Sago in my front yard. It has now split into a 3 headed plant. It seems to be doing fine. Is there anything special I should do for it?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    7 years ago

I have a double headed Sago palm. I just now scrolled through a bunch of sago palm photos and saw only one that might have triple heads. It looked very full and elegant. I don't think you need to do anything, but enjoy it. If you've taken any photos I'd like to see it.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    7 years ago

On second thought there is something you may want to do, which I just did for mine. I cut off the fronds that were crisscrossing and causing the leaves to bend and look messy. Looks much neater now.

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

I'm so glad to have found this old thread on Sago Palms. There was one in the garden when we bought this place 4 years ago. I had never grown or been around these plants before. Original trunk was maybe 3" out of the ground with only 3-4 fronds struggling to stay alive in Texas full-blown August heat. The house flipper apparently didn't do anything to the yard for 9 months he worked on the interior of this place and when we bought the house, the Sago was on its last leg (the lawn as well).

Fast forward...........with regular watering I revived this dying plant over our first year here, making sure it got water every 2-3 days. The 2nd year here, it finally put on some healthy fronds all the way around the main trunk. I was beginning to be hopeful. Those froze off the next winter and the new pup last year has done well and come through its first winter just fine. Original mother trunk has not put on any new fronds since those in year 2. In year 3 it put on its first pup, and since the main trunk quit leafing, I was pleased! Then this month, a new pup appeared! It's huge!! Almost bigger than the mother trunk was 4 years ago. I just went outside and found there is yet another pup with emerging 5" fronds coming out on the opposite side of the mother trunk, it appears. Looks like it is already turning into a 3-4 trunk Sago now. It's in a wide open garden space so I have the luxury of letting it grow naturally rather than try to cut off pups at all. I was worried leaving it to grow naturally was not good for Sagos, but this discussion proves that to be an incorrect.

@ Roselee, I will take your suggestion above and cut off criss-crossing fronds competing for elbow room. That just makes good sense. I've decided I like Sago Palms. :)

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

Here's a current photo, although you can't see the 4th pup's fronds in this shot: https://imgur.com/hXiT04I

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Buttoni, I glad to hear the sago palm responded well to your wonderful care. It's great that it's in an open place so you can enjoy its natural and burgeoning shape. They are beautiful plants Thanks for the photo. I'd love to see a photo of the whole plant sometime.

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

Well, fairly open space. You can see it in this photo: https://imgur.com/KwTu71Y. If and when it gets enough height to look like it's a tree with a real trunk and not a dwarf sprawling Loropetalum in shape, I'll sure post one, Roselee. LOL

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

Golly, I never water mine. It does freeze kill the fronds most winters. I cut the fronds off before the coming hard freeze and pile them up against it and make sure the meristem is protected. The fronds will be toast anyway. This year they did not freeze back because we did not get into the teens. I will throw a towel over the center meristem part if I can't get to cutting the fronds off. The fronds are good for protecting all sorts of tender plants. I see them as material for mulching, mulching that has air space and won't blow away in most winds.. The plant recovers the next spring easily.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

Mine have not bloomed male or female yet.

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

I don't know if mine is male or female either, Mara. Roselee, here are two photos that shows the main trunk (no longer has any fronds). What appears to be the main plant is last year's pup off the bare main trunk. Sorry I'm having to use Imgur's site for my photos as you can't enlarge them, but Houzz no longer uploads photos direct off my pc like it once did. Post submits but comes up without a photo now. Anywho..........the tall center cluster of fronds cluster came out a couple weeks ago off one side of the main pup. The cluster of fronds on the right not yet unfurled came out just this week. https://imgur.com/eEQGZqp

https://imgur.com/kwxVJfl

I did not mulch or cover anything this winter and didn't lose a single frond off what is the main trunk now really. I have today cut 3 fronds off that were getting tangled up in the other ones, but they showed no browning. Just unsightly & gnarled up into the other fronds.

I was aware all parts of the plant are toxic to dogs, which is why I don't repurpose my fronds. Just discard them. No male cones or female seeds to worry about yet but will be watchful when they appear as I have a small rat terrier. Lucky for me over the years, she has NEVER been inclined to chew on anything in either of my yards in Temple. She is now 16, nearly totally deaf, has a heart murmur and tires so easily, she only stays outside long enough to do her business and get right back inside to go to sleep yet again. :)

• Derek Crace
    3 years ago

I was wondering why my Sago had grown two clusters of fronds and I stumbled across this site. This occurred right after the Sago revealed it was a male and grew a tall cone shaped flower. Good information, especially being Toxic to dogs. My lab is part goat but does not have access to this part of the yard, thank you! I tried thinning out the newer fronds but they were so beat up, I ended up removing them all. I typically do not prune this high up the palm but, I do like the cleaner look and getting watered regularly, this Sago has doubled in height in the 5 years we have lived here. I am hoping by removing the new cluster of fronds, I can get the original cluster more top dead center as it originally was, we will see? Freezing is not a big concern, here in Phoenix. Thank You for the information. I did attach a photo and the 2nd frond cluster was on the top right. The original group of fronds has righted itself after the original thinning.

• Ralph Brittain
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think my Sego might be a little unusual. It has 4 heads and I guess it is a pup on the side.

Is this unusual?