Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sago palms are dividing

Posted by purple_is_a_fruit (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 19:31

I have 3 very large (~6ft) sagos in my front yard. Last year i noticed that one of them bloomed (right word?) strangely, the leaves were intermingled and didn't spread out like the others.

This year, I have realized that the head has actually divided into 2 separate heads and are now growing out in opposite directions. This is going to change the symmetry that I have going in the front yard. Is there anything I can do to fix this back to the way it was, apart from taking an axe to one of the heads? And even if I did that, won't the other one still grow off to one direction?

If you can't tell, I'm knew at this, but any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

-D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sago palms are dividing

Can you post a picture of the two-headed Sago?

o

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This one faces towards the yard.

This one faces towards the street.

This is a side view perpendicular to the heads. You can see how the leaves (stems?) are coming out awkwardly. The heads are still nubs right now which is why I considered chopping one of them. Any ideas?

-D

o

I hate to bug everyone with this again but...does anyone have any ideas on what to do with my 2 headed muppet sago?

o

• Posted by allen 8-b Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 13:22

you are lucky to have the double,do not cut it just enjoy it Allen

o

Congratualtions! It a happy mature male sago and it's blooming! Sagos are either male or female and the specimen you've pictured appears to be putting up the male part that will look like a very tall pine cone. It will topple over in a few weeks and life will go back to normal.

Here's a picture of the bloom on mine from a couple of years ago:

It's blooming again this year and the bud is about the size of the one on your palm.

The female sago flower looks like a fluffy nest of brown eggs which hatch orange. It doesn't bloom as often as the male one does.

o
re: btw

By the way, the bloom does seem to come out more on one side than the other as you've noticed, but my palm does not appear to be lopsided or to have split into two branches or sections when it is not in flower. It's been blooming for about four or five years.

Other than trying to balance the appearance by carefully prunning of the fronds I guess there is not much you can do but let mother nature have her way, and to just try to see it as 'interesting.'

o

After trimming mine back one time, I realized it was a job that I didn't want to do again. So, I just let it go, and now, 13 years later, it is prettier in its natural state than the well manicured ones. At least I think so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here