Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

What is a 'plant strengthener' ?

See third paragraph down on the link. Does anybody have any experience with it? Where do you find this product and what does it cost?

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Gardeners Newsletter ...

Comments (8)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I wondered the same thing when I read that, Roselee. I hope someone out there knows.

• whitecap2
    12 years ago

If you click on the link to the author's website, you will find there a banner ad for Jaz Products. That link will take you to the sales pitch and prices for the product, along with some info on the "active ingredients." $27.00 for 16 oz.

• jimr36
    12 years ago

Folks should be very skeptical about that product, especially since it doesn't list what's in it, which is a HUGE red flag. If it is truly safe for plants and the environment, then there should be no reason to hide the contents. Plus, the price is high, which makes it look like it is probably a highly-synthesized chemical product.

It's also interesting and very telling that its not available in states that have high standards on products (like Oregon, New Mexico, Wisconsin, and California).

If this was such a great product, then it would be something that you'd hear about a lot, and you would have multiple products to choose from. It wouldn't be something obscure and hard to locate. Use your brain and common sense. That's my 2 cents.

• sfmathews
    12 years ago

I agree with JimR. I always thought healthy soil would help 'strenghten' a plant. In addition, a foliar spray of seaweed is also a good way to help keep plants healthy.
    Susan

• whitecap2
    12 years ago

If you explore the Jaz site, you will find the primary chemical ingredient. Methyl something-or-other.

• eltex
    11 years ago

it's probably methyl jasmonate, which is pretty interesting. However, I haven't seen enough data/studies to show that it helps with growing the stuff most of us grow. If you google a bit about it, you will come across the growing forums for MJ. It seems to be under investigation, but holds promise. But they have also warned that this type of supplement will put plants into 'defense' mode, it might cut off new growth as it goes into safety mode.

I say give the universities a few more years to study this stuff and then maybe we can revisit the product then.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

It's something that, when purchased, strengthens the seller's finances?

Kinda like the "immune system enhancers" ... when you start looking at the facts, they have none.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for doing the 'research' for me and replying. Lazygardens, you may be right, but I guess it's something that might bear watching.