Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long to water with a soaker hose?

Posted by maxlife92 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 19:50

I have 3 10x4 ft raised beds 1ft deep. I bought two 25'ft soaker hoses yesterday and have them split at the faucet going to the three beds(two of the beds share one soaker hose). First question, how much looping and intertwining do i need to do? Because the shares beds dont have enough leverage with the one hose for any looping and im skeptical this could be a problem. Also how long should I let them run?

Yesterday I let them run for 20 min 2different times. Today I let them run for 40min this morning and i just chcked the soil with my finger (one inch test) and it was very dry and my newly planted cucumber plant looked wilty. So i just turned them on again for 30 minutes.

What do yall think?

Especially with the temps in the 80's and no rain here in San Antonio...

I do have the garden under a tree though

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long to water with a soaker hose?

First, how much water is each hose releasing when you turn on the faucet? Are you turning the faucet on enough? You don't want to be spraying water in the air, but you do want it dripping/seeping into the soil. It really is a trial and error type of thing. How far to turn the knob of the faucet to get the water flow you want, and then how long to leave the water on. The first is the easiest, slowly turn the knob/lever until you get a steady dripping of water from the soaker hose. The latter takes more time and concentrated watchng of the beds to tell you when they've had enough.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here