Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what I think I learned about Lantana cuttings

Posted by daninthedirt 8b / HZ10 Cent. TX (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 19:52

I have a nice Lantana that I'd like to propagate. I heard that was drop-dead easy to make cuttings and get them to root. Did that last spring on new growth, with great success. Then during the summer, it didn't work. Did it this spring on new growth with great success.

I think it means that the stems that root well are the young and new ones. A stem that has been sitting out for months is not very rootable. The lesson is to root Lantana cuttings in the spring, when the new growth is bursting out.

But maybe it just doesn't like to root when it's hot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what I think I learned about Lantana cuttings

almost every plant that will root from cuttings is easier to root from new growth. I haven't tried lantana but I will now. all my lantanas come out very late in Spring though, like in May. Are yours already growing?

o

I've been successful rooting lantana cuttings in the fall. Early fall, I had to cut them back the end of Aug into early Sept when they way overgrew their area. They rooted very quickly.

I don't think mine aren't awake yet.

o

Our three Lantana clumps were bunches of dried sticks in the ground three weeks ago. No green at all. They are now lush with green, with hundreds of stems 4-5 inches long. Growing like crazy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here