Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to put down sod?

Posted by doubletrouble81 Austin TX (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 20:16

Hi everyone!
Is it gone too hot to install new sod this year? My backyard is heavily shaded, but I'm still worried it may already be too warm here in Austin.. Also, I was gonna get St.Augustine DelMar turf since it does good with shade, good/bad decision?
I have been trying to get my backyard graded and sod put down since January, but thanks to my bank lengthy loan approvals I wasn't be able to get started as early as I liked! grrr!! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to put down sod?

You might think about posting this on the Lawn Care Forum. There are a couple of Central Texas "Old Hands" over there.

o

not too late as long as you water everyday for the first week, then about every other day for the 2nd week, and just taper off slowly to about twice per week, then once per week.

i've put down sod during the summer. one summer the city did some work on the drainage system and tore through the sidewalks in the whole neighborhood, after they redid my sidewalk and curb, and laid down the new sod, i watered it in and walked on top of it over every square inch. then followed the watering regiment i mentioned above. another summer i dug up a large patch of dallis grass, and resodded with cheap st augustine.

lots of water and tamp it down so the roots are touching the soil beneath.

o

I second HoustonTexas123's advice. I think the main problem our turf grasses have is the amount of water they receive. If you're willing to baby them through this summer and next winter,they should do fine for you.

o

Yep... just keep it watered and tamped down. Its not too late.. We had ours done in June/July one year... as long as you keep it watered it will be fine.

o

It is a perfect timing to put down new sod.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here