Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need: Mother's day gift idea: Shrub for shade

Posted by lynnmariep86 8 DFW (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 20:52

My mother mentioned that she'd like another azalea for Mother's day. The only problem is that where she wants to put them is under several trees in almost complete full shade and they keep dying. I was thinking about getting her something that would do better instead. She lives in north Louisiana, so very similar climate to east Texas; very hot, very humid, and zone 8. I've been googling, but haven't been able to come up with anything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need: Mother's day gift idea: Shrub for shade

I love American Beautyberry.

o

How about a winter honeysuckle? Blooms November to March/April in east Texas and smells SOOOO sweet.

I was at SFA gardens in Nacogdoches this weekend, and they had a gorgeous bank of Virginia sweetspire, just coming into bloom. If you get the variety Henry's Garnet, the leaves turn beautiful garnet and fuschia in autumn, and the stems are reddish in the winter.

They also had some anise shrubs - Florida Sunshine is a variety with golden leaves.

There were several Deutzias just ready to bloom - one was Godsell Pink, but I don't know the names of the others.

And viburnum! I saw a Doublefile Virburnum that was just coming out of bloom, and there was a Viburnum Dentatum just coming into bloom.

You might have some fun scrolling through their index of plants...

Here is a link that might be useful: Index of plants at SFA Gardens

o

Camellia, oak leaf hydrangea, clethra 'ruby spice', or maybe a cool variegated large hosta?

o

Oak leaf Hydrangea, and Beauty Berry are great choices

I adore Euonymus Americanus (SP?) aka strawberry Bush. Love the fall foliage and the tiny "berries"

BTW my Ruby Spice is getting leaves I'm so excited.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euonymus americanus

o

Oak leaf hydrangia. Beautiful blossoms.

o

OK, I'm taking y'all's advice. I ordered an Oakleaf Hydrangea from eBay. I'll let you know if she likes it. THANKS!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here