Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merrybookwyrm

nominations for best plant nurseries in state?

merrybookwyrm
13 years ago

north central Texas

Nicholson-Hardie

Redenta's Garden

North Haven Gardens

south central Texas

Antique Rose Emporium

Comments (22)

• running_gardener
    13 years ago

Stuart's in Weatherford has the best selection, most affordable native shrubs and trees that I've found.

• sfmathews
    13 years ago

Second for Redenta's & Northaven!

• Vulture61
    13 years ago

I like Barton Springs Nursery and The Natural Gardener in Austin. King Feed is the best in Wimberley.

Omar

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

A second for Stuart's. The prices and selection are great and they really have very knowledgeable folks working there.

• merrybookwyrm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for telling abot Stuart's. That is new to me. Weston Gardens in Fort Worth is nice, too.

• wexy1000
    13 years ago

I second the Natural Gardener in Austin!

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

Blue Moon Gardens
    13062 FM 279
    Chandler TX
    903 852 397
    bluemoongardens.com

Located a few miles west of Pounds Field (the airport) in Tyler, Texas. I could stay there all day.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

I'm putting in a second vote for Weston's, and if you're into azaleas, rhodedendrons and maples, Metro Maples.

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    13 years ago

I'll nominate Heep's Nursery in Harlingen, as it's the best source of native plants that I know of. All 1 gallon plants cost $5, even for extremely rare species that no other nursery carries.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    13 years ago

I second Blue Moon Gardens - Hand Nursery is nearby, always has beautiful blooming things, not a huge nursery, but I always find something I must have. Chamblees Rose Nursery in Tyler is the best for own root, reasonably priced roses. The Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham is another favorite. Cook's in Nacogdoches is excellent.

• primbynature
    13 years ago

alameda....where is Hand Nursery? I saw a Hand Rose Farms online but it stated it was wholesale only.....

• cynthianovak
    13 years ago

Green's Produce on Arkansas in Arlington had a great selection of hard to find plants last year and they are getting them in again this year. If you can't find what you want a Redenta's they are just east of them on the same street. Knowledgeable staff too. I'm a long time fan of Hare's on Division in ARlington too.

thumb's up to others mentioned. Sure wish I could get back to ARE this spring. Came back with a car full of plants last May.

c

• carla morey
    13 years ago

My favorite nursery for native plants is Rohde's in Garland. North Haven is nice, too. A fun day trip is Blue Moon Nursery. I could wander around all day.

Carla

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

Barton Springs Nursery, Natural Gardener and the Great outdoors in Austin Texas are tied in my mind.

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

What nursery has the best selection of tropical fruit trees? Mangoes, Jaboticaba, starfruit?

• jtyrie
    13 years ago

The Flower Ranch in Keller is pretty nice. A very wide selection and helpful staff. Lots of times, you have to buy a whole flat but they also have some individual plants.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I can't remember the name of it, so hopefully someone will know - it was a nursery just outside Fredericksburg. Huge, with lots of natives, seeds - I could have stayed all day.

• sonic_banana
    13 years ago

@marti8a - Wildseed Farms?

I've never been there but hopefully will someday. My fav is Blue Moon Gardens.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

In San Antonio I like the two Rainbow Gardens and of course Antique Rose Emporium.

Wildseed Farms in Fredericksburg is wonderful! Bob, Tammy and I were there a couple of weeks ago. There was only one field of blooming wildflowers to be seen this time. I guess the others had already been harvested, but there were acres of beautiful plants and literally tons of gorgeous pots. The pictures below don't even begin to show them all.

They don't have the butterfly house any more, but instead a new butterfly garden, also a nice new waterfall garden. It's definitely a great place to visit and from which to buy plants and seeds; and also crafts from their gift shop.

The Friday we were there they had a tent set up and were selling plates of fresh barbequed brisket and sausage they were doing on the spot. I don't know how often that happens.

Plus there is all the other neat things in Fredericksburg to see and do. The Nimitz Museum is fascinating and well worth the time spent there, and all the quaint little shops along the main street are fun to browse.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Yes! Wildseed Farms. How could I have forgotten that. I even have it bookmarked. Loved that place.

• dwf1
    13 years ago

McIntire's Garden Center, Georgetown
    It's always nice to go to a nursery where the staff is friendly but most important they know what they sell.

Here is a link that might be useful: McIntire's Garden Center

• zippity1
    13 years ago

arbor gate in tomball