Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merryaustin

zeon zoysia

merryaustin
11 years ago

I am considering sodding some zeon zoysia. Has anyone has any experience with zeon? I also considered zorro, but I understand that zeon produces less thatch. I really wanted emerald zoysia but read that it is really bad about forming thatch. Any info or opinions are appreciated.

Comments (4)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

General rule of thumb - coarse bladed zoysia like Palisades is easy to grow when it comes to drought. I've never grown fine bladed zoysia so I don't know but I've looked into studies over all types of grass relating to drought tolerance. In Houston at my Mom's, when it comes to doing nothing (no watering or barely fertilizing), zoysia wins. I think it's El Toro cultivar. The drought in 2010 or 2011(?) killed off a lot of st augustine and to my surprise zoysia grass are everywhere there now.

• geezeruk
    8 years ago

Hi, which grass did you end up going with? I am currently considering between Zeon and Zorro for my home in SC but can't find much on the internet comparing the two zoysia. Thanks

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    8 years ago

MerryAustin,

Listen to John Dromgoole Saturday morning on KLBJ. They have a call in program. I've heard them mention the best zoysia for your area. if you don't call John, talk to the next show in line. Usually a woman. That's where you need to get your info. Those guys know their stuff.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    9 months ago

Hi folks. I realize this is an old thread, but I need some info. I live in Southern Arizona and have pretty much concluded that Zeon Zoysia is what I want to sod my backyard with. However, from the research I’ve done and requests I’ve made, this particular sod is not available in Arizona at all. I’m pretty adamantly opposed to anything in the Bermuda family and that is what is promoted in this state and that is the sod that’s available. So I’m not interested in anyone trying to convince me to plant Bermuda unless you can convince me clearly that it won’t cause me years of headache trying to keep it from creeping into all my flower beds. I spend too much time trying to eradicate the wild Bermuda.

So here is my question: does anyone know of a sod farm near El Paso Texas that grows and sells Zeon Zoysia? I’m willing to drive a good ways with truck and trailer to bring back a bunch of pallets of sod. My yard is approximately 5000 sf. I won’t be planting this year but hope to be ready by late spring 2024 and am doing my best to research ahead.