Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skipndallas

Pink Jasmine in DFW

skipndallas
16 years ago

Hi, I just bought some pink jasmine and I have a few questions. I should have asked before buying, but they smelled great and were ½ off at Home Depot!

Is there anything special I need to know when planting them? Can I plant them with my roses? How long do they bloom here in Dallas? I have read jasmine is great in the south and very hardy, so any input or advise will be greatly appreciated

Comments (32)

• melvalena
    16 years ago

If you want it to live you put it in a pot and drag it in the garage for the winter. You drag it back out on nice warm sunny days to water and sun it.. then drag it back in if its going to freeze.

You will be rewarded with a much bigger smellier plant next spring.

I put mine in a huge pot, that I could still drag by myself and anchored a big metal trellis in it for the vine to grow on.

This winter I didn't do the water/sun shuffle... and it shows.. poor thing is barely alive and has only a handful of blooms. :( I won't do that again! :)

• skipndallas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Really! Did I buy the worng kind? I thought jasmine was a hardy southern plant.

• debndal
    16 years ago

Skip I think Melvalina is right about the pink jasmine. I thought the same as you a couple of years ago and lost mine the first winter. I think star jasmine is the one that is hardier, but barely so in zone 8 - I have seen it in very protected areas survive as long as we didn't have one of those really cold cold fronts.

• skipndallas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am so hurt! I got 2 big pots at 1/2 off. I thought I had stuck gold. We are in the country with no real wind block. I guess, I will take these back and look for some star jasmine. Do they smell too?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Star Jasmines smell totally wonderful! I have several plants that are 15 or so years old, plus it seems to me they have a longer bloom period than Pink jasmines, but that might be because the Pink jasmine always seemed to be already blooming when I bought them.

I could never keep the Pink alive through the winter here in San Antonio, but with the warmer temps the last couple of years my neighbor has had better luck. Her's are in a sheltered location which certainly helps.

BTW, Night blooming jasmine is the pot I drag in and out. It is very tender, but oh so sweetly scently and blooms on and off all summer long.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Skip, I think you got a wonderful deal on wonderful plants. I love my pink jasmine and will not ever be with out one so long as I'm not in an apt or old folks home. :)

It just needs special care for the winter, but you are so rewarded for the effort. Which isn't really all that much when you really think about it. All special things in life require special care. :)

Or you could buy a new one or 2 (small) each spring.

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

Is Star Jasmine the same as Confederate Jasmine? I have absolutely no difficulty in growing Confederate Jasmine in the ground here and it is thriving, that flush of fragrant Spring flowering is wonderful. My Pink or Poet's Jasmine is in a pot I move to a sheltered area to overwinter. It has not frozen back this year and is very full and putting out tendrils now. No flowers yet. The Confederate Jasmine is just loaded with soon to open flowers.

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

Here are photos of my 2 jasmine types, the Confederate Jasmine (second photo) has been in the ground for 2 yrs, the Poet's Jasmine has been in a pot (outside) for 2 yrs.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Thanks for the pictures, Lynn. As far as I know Confederate and Star jasmine are the same.

Madison is the variety name of a more freeze tolerant Confederate jasmine. However, I've only had mine freeze back once in the 15 or so years I've had it. I've looked, but have never seen the Madison variety for sale in San Antonio, but heard that it was offered in the Dallas area.

One link describing Madison says,

"... Madison Confederate Jasmine,introduced by Cedar Lane Farms in Madison , Ga., has all the merits of the species with an added shot of antifreeze. Michael Dirr thinks the plant is actually a variety of Confederate Jasmine called "pubescens" because it has fuzzy pubescence under its leaves while the species has leaves with smooth undersides. Apparently, the fuzzy growth helps insulate the leaves and protect them from winter cold."

One nursery man told me that it is likely most of the Confederate jasmines now offered are the pubescence variety even if not named as such. Has anyone noticed a fuzzy underside on the leaves? I guess it would be hard to tell without having something to compare it to.

An interesting aside is that Asian jasmine, usually used as a ground cover, has fragrant blooms if allowed to climb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Star/Confederate Jasmine

• skipndallas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melvalena, you are sure right about the smell and I just love the white flowers. ;0) But since they are already 4 feet tall, I think I will take one back and get a star jasmine. For the one I am keeping, should I put it in the ground and cover it in the winter? Or pot it so I can take it in the house? The tag says it is hardy to 15º and we "seldom" get to 15º. I have a recessed corner of the house that faces west (one wall points west & one points south), I could put it there with the roses.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

You could try it in that spot, and much it for the winter and see how it does. If it dies, you just go buy another one. :) Be sure to give it lots of trellis to climb on.

If it were me, I'd pot it up in a bigger pot with a nice big trellis anchored in the pot. :)

You never know when we're going to get hit with those 2 week ice storms or when its going to dip down to 10* and stay under 35* for 2 weeks. Yes, it does happen here in Dallas though not all that often.

/whispering:
    I think we're about due again. :)

• skipndallas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Roslee when does your star jasmine start blooming? and for how long? Do you know if they have any problems with roses? I have some roses that don't smell and I am thinking about adding the star jasmine to trick myself!

Melvalena, you think we are due this year! After today, I was hoping it was now spring! My roses are starting to bloom again and after last year "wet" spring we struggled all summer.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

NO, I don't think it will happen this year! But any winter coming up could be 'the one'.

I don't think you'd want to plant your star jasmine to grow up your roses or anywhere near them. I've seen that stuff take over, and I mean TAKE OVER. After a few years growing on a fence you can't even see the fence anymore! Its really really tall and thick. It just keeps folding over itself and growing and growing falling back on itself and piling higher and thicker.
    Now, if these people had wanted to, I suppose they could have kept it cut back so it didn't get so out of control but I think they rather liked the nice tall and thick privacy fence they got. :)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Skip, the Star jasmine is covered with buds that just started opening. If I remember correctly it will bloom into the first part of June. It's wafting scent drifts across the yard and into open windows.

A few planted along a chain link fence will completely cover it by folding over on itself like Melva says and in a very few years making a nice evergreen hedge. It's not a rampant grower in my yard though. A few strands will reach out and try to wind around a pole or a small tree, but they are easily clipped back. It doesn't put up suckers or want to travel along the ground, but here, at least, it nicly stays where it's planted.

A very worthy plant I wouldn't be without. I've planted in at every house I've ever lived in.

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

Skip, after the Star jasmine blooms, we shear it back and top it off so it does not reach over to the pergola where we are growing other stuff. It loves being sheared and becomes very compact. Give it lots of water during the warm months--it will repay you, and don't forget to occasionally water during the Winter. Am hoping my other jasmine blooms this year, it was beautiful when I purchased it.

• skipndallas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My pink has quite blooming...but it was fabulous while it lasted! Do I need to prune or dead head?

• missinformation
    16 years ago

i've got 2 new pinks, and i also thought they were fine here in winter. shows what i know! the confederate vine has been in the ground for years and years, and it's about to be covered in blooms.

have you thought about autumn clematis? i'm new to them as well, but boy do they grow quickly if you get them in the right spot!

• skipndallas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do you prune the pink jasmine?

About the autumn clematis...do they smell? How do you prune them? Will they work with roses?

• melvalena
    16 years ago

I haven't trimmed my pink one yet.
    I will this year though since its gotten so big. Its getting hard to get that pot drug around now with that huge trellis in it.

I suppose if you are going to trim it, now is the time.

• dmg2242
    16 years ago

My pink jasmine is just now on the verge of blooming and it's huge this year. I've had it for two years. It froze back the first year, but came back during the Spring. Didn't freeze back this last winter and is huge and beautiful! Now if it would just bloom!! Just LOVE the fragrance!

Denise

• skipndallas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Denise,
    Is yours planted in the ground or a pot? mine seems to have finished growing; did you do anything to make yours bloom late? I am already mourning the loss!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

just a note about the autumn clematis. There is one at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden near the conservatory that has eaten a tree ;-) Well, not eaten, but it has totally covered it. The gardeners said they find seedlings everywhere too. Beautiful plant, but it will need lots of room and pruning to keep it in bounds.

Pam

• melvalena
    15 years ago

Skip,
    The jasmine you have was grown in a green house and heavily fertilized, which forces it grow fast and to bloom a bit earlier than those which are controlled by mother nature. :)
    It hasn't quit growing. It is resting now, but through out the summer will continue to grow and grow if given the correct amount of light and water and food.

Mine didn't put on quite the show it has in the past due to my neglect over the winter.

But it is actively growing now. I just cut it back yesterday and "re-did" the trellis. I might have cut it too much, but I really needed to start over on that trellis. If I killed it by cutting it back too far, I plan to buy another. :)

• sowngrow (8a)
    15 years ago

I wouldn't trim your jasmine now. Mine has been in the ground since last summer and it's loaded with buds. I did lose a Confederate Star Jasmine one winter. I don't know if the two are the same.

• sowngrow (8a)
    15 years ago

okay-I reread your post Skip after I woke up a bit more and see yours is done blooming already, so yes, I would trim it back then. I also wanted to note that mine made it through the winter, however, I have it planted in sheltered spot, tucked in a corner.

• skipndallas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melvalena, my jasmine has what looks like spent buds, but a few still look like they might bloom...how do you tell the difference?

• sariwynn
    15 years ago

Hi. can anyone help with an answer? I cut pink jasmine from someone's fence and couldn't get to the roots. Should I keep them in water if so, for how long? or since they are vines, will they root in the ground all by themselves? I would hate to spend 25.00 on a gallon pink jasmine plant at the store.
    sariwynn
    ggirl7979@live.com

• pauline13
    15 years ago

Roselee,

Believe it or not, I have had a Night Blooming Jasmine planted in the ground here in Tyler, TX for 9 years. I brought it here from Houston and planted it by my patio. It has a northeast exposure. The first year I was here, we had an ice storm that left us without power for 4 days. The jasmine was already in the ground. It does freeze totally to the ground each year which means that it doesn't really bloom until around September or October because it has to totally regrow each year. By season's end, it will reach the eaves of the house. Here is a picture of it taken in May of 2006. You can see how fast it grows when you consider that this is March and it is just now peaking out of the ground for this season.

For those who aren't familiar with this Jasmine, it is the greenery next to the downspout.

• dallasblooms
    15 years ago

If you are looking for a sweet smelling flowering vine to plant in the ground that is evergreen you can't go wrong with a Carolina Jasmine. It's blooming now and lasts all spring, then reblooms in the fall. No special treatment needed. Just give it something to climb and its happy.

My star jasmine dies to the ground every year and takes forever to grow back up, so I put one in a pot and over-wintered inside this year. That one is doing great. My autumn clematis dies to the ground too so I wouldn't recommend that choice (plus I'm not too fond of the scent).

So I guess if you don't mind moving pots a Star Jasmine would be nice, otherwise I would recommend a Carolina Jasmine -pretty yellow fragrant flowers.

• Taralyn
    15 years ago

I am in the Dallas/Carrolton area, and I planted Confederate Jasmine, 4 1 gallon pots, 2 plants to one metal doorway arch, my first year in the house. Two made it through the winter, two didnt, so I tried again the next year, all four made it, and the arches were covered by the third year. I have not had a problem with freezeback since, and these are between houses where there is absolutely no light in winter. So I would say if you can make it through the first freeze, you are okay. I noticed they are showing bloom growth yesterday - but would have said you get a month of blooms from whenever they start. I think mine are usually done by May....

terry

• sandandsun
    15 years ago

Skip,
    This whole thread is fascinating. Do you still have the label from when you bought the pink jasmine?
    Does it have the latin names on it? If so, would you share that with us?
    Thanks much!

• sftheartedshyguy_aol_com
    13 years ago

I live in Dallas, and when we bought our house 2 years ago I put in a meditation garden with several different kinds of jasmine. However, with the pink jasmines, I did not get in until late summer. They did not last the winter. I also have star jasmine, carolina jasmine, and just got in my nightblooming jasmine. The star and carolina jasmines both went dormant (planted them in early spring), but have come back beautifully this spring. The carolina jasmine especially. Do not cut back the vines when they go dormant, as they will sprout new leaves after thier dormancy ends. I think the only reason the pink jasmine did not do as well is because it had not been in the ground long enough for its root system to establish before the cold hit. Then a week of below freezing ice came in, and that was the end. I'm looking for some local place that has some healthy plants that I can put in immediately so they have time to establish root systems. We'll see how it goes.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!