Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Dog pee....

patty_cakes
11 years ago

I planted 17 small boxwood around my patio last year, and my dog by virtue of his peeing, has killed every single one. He's now on the way in killing the Lilirope on each side of a stone pathway. I have large bushes as well as large trees, which he apparently doesn't see, or it's just the fact he can raise his leg and go on the very top of the smaller plants. I'm at a complete loss of what it is I need to do! Are there plants that are pee resistant? HELP!!

Comments (12)

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Train your dog not to pee on them or in that area. Pets are just like children...you have to raise them correctly and teach them right from wrong.

Kt

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

There are some dog repellant sprays and granules out there. I don't know how well they work. I do know that spraying with a diluted solution of Pine-Sol will keep dogs from going in the same place. I've used it to train puppies and to keep my dogs from peeing on car tires in the garage. Maybe you could place soaked cotton balls around the shrubs along with a stern 'No!' when they start to go in that direction will encourage them to use a different part of the yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: I just looked to see what Google came up with ...

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I put little cages around plants. I make them out of wire. The dog can't get close enough to really drench the plant.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Yes chicken wire may not be pretty but I put it down on the ground and they do not like walking on the wire. But my cat did find at times she would lie on it without any distress so maybe a few cuts in the wire here and there and turning those cuttings up should help. It can also be use as a cage which will not even be seen without effort.

Dog pee is a good fertilizer if diluted 10 to 1 so if you see this happening you need to get your garden hose out and soak the area quickly. The strength is what is killing your bushes.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 10:42

• therock050383
    11 years ago

With shrubs, your dog is literally pouring nitrogen onto the shrubs. I would say you could replace the plants with something that can handle it, but the fact that he is killing the Lilirope tells me there is not much hope. You've got to re-train him to pee somewhere else.

Male dogs will light up the shrubs. Just by their nature (females squat, males not so much)

Here is a link that might be useful: Females dogs can be horrible on grass.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I was reading Euonymus is one type of plant that can withstand the pee because it's leaf is non-absorbent. Only problem, it's more of a vine or ground cover than it is an upright, but may be a good plant for another area. I had all the grass removed last spring so no worries re:yellow/brown spots in the yard.

I did think of caging the plants, but figured the pee would go right thru. I guess with large enough cages that wouldn't be a problem, but eventually, as the plants grew, and the cages removed, it would be the same thing all over again. Seems training my boy may be my only solution if I want upright plants. ;o)

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

Euonymus Americanus is upright and one of my favorite plants!

Here is a link that might be useful: strawberry Euonymus

• bruhig
    10 years ago

Neighborhood dogs pee on my car's tires. I'm looking for a solution to that problem because it's gone way beyond being merely annoying. I may try "Nature's Miracle" clove oil spray to see if that works. I'll also call the dog catcher. Other measures must remain repressed in my imagination.

Deer also love to eat the leaves off anything we try to try to grow in our yard. A fence would probably be the best solution, but we don't want to build one.

I just saw something else that might work to deter these pesky passers and nibblers. It's called a "Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler." It's available at (surprise!) amazon.com.http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS. I may give one or more of them a try -- for both the dogs and the deer.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

It's worth pointing out that pee from a dog or whatever is potentially a fertilizer. It's several percent urea, which bacterially metabolizes to useful nitrogen, BUT it's also salty, so non-salt tolerant plants won't like it. There are stories of lush grass where the dog pees, and also stories of brown lawn spots where they do. These seem contradictory, but I believe it's a matter of "too much". Both uric acid and salt are highly soluble and dilutable, so the easy solution is just to drench the plants where the dog goes. The salt will wash away, and the urea will ideally be consumed by bacteria and converted to usable nitrogen before it does. Train your dog to pee on your compost pile!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

When I was trying to keep the deer off my roses planted in the front yard I bought five of the motion activiated scarecrows. They actually worked well for the deer, but hearing the water go on and off during the night would sometimes wake us up, plus the sprinklers overlapped the sidewalk in a couple of places and if we didn't get up early enough to turn off the water the squeals of early morning joggers would wake us for sure ... LOL. Kids would keep running back and forth setting them off numerous times making it impossible to sleep late on week ends. A timer was needed. Finally it got to be too much and I gave up, sold the deer scarers, and moved all the roses and other deer treats to the back yard. There are lots of nice things you can plant in front that the deer don't like.

As mentioned above I've found spraying diluted pine-sol cleaner stopped the dogs from peeing on tires and cats from spraying around such places as the front porch.

Good luck!

• segbert3
    8 years ago

I came across your post and was just wondering what you ended up planting ?! I just had the same experience. Was hoping it wasn't the dogs fault but landscaper seems to think so :/ in the process of maybe planting something new this fall...

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

I just popped back on this forum, scrolled a bit, and saw this post.

Roselee, thank you so much! Will give this a try on the next batch of plants I put in.

Segbert, see above. NEXT, meaning every last, hand planted by myself, digging thru murky calichi, even adding nice black dirt, and they all got 'pissed off.' No wait, that's me! Haven't replanted anything yet, but am thinking something plastic. :/